WINGNUT WINGS LANCASTER!!!!!!!!!

seiran01

6 minutes ago, Jennings Heilig said:

HK has been working on their kit for several years, and that’s been public information. HK is a tiny (<10 people) company with limited resources. I’d find it very hard to believe WnW has been working on this anywhere near that long.

Perhaps im wrong, but I know what my gut tells me. Why else would WnW go SO far out of their established pattern (and their oft stated intention)? How does this tie in to WWI?

There is nothing mystical about it, WNW does what Peter Jackson wants to do.  I am not a fan of 4 engine bombers as 1/32 kits personally.  It will be exciting to see it done though.  

1 hour ago, seiran01 said:

I have contacted Dave @ WNW, he can confirm that over 8 years of research, design and tooling have gone into this model.... so far.

Apparently even though they may have started this project well before HK, they should have done the right thing and scrapped all that costly research and tooling..  just so there are no hurt feelings I guess.    Lol.     

For those who are upset over the news - this is called “business”. 

I think that this was/will probably tie up to a film.  I recall that Peter Jackson is trying to make a Dambuster's movie.  Of course, at what level the movie is now in production, I'm not sure.  It may be, the movie's development and production was a bust, but the investment on the kit they're developing was already too much to pull the rug.

The problem is that WnW have trained their customers to buy WWI kits.

To go off on a tangent like this, with no warning, may well peeve off a great number of people who have been patiently waiting for a DrI, SPAD or BE.2c.

Like me, for Instance. My interests are heavily biased towards WWI aviation. WnW have said that they'll only produce kits for WWI subjects, and concentrate on those aircraft without a 1/32 kit.

Then a pair of Lancs appear, ready for 2019, just when HK are releasing theirs?

It's bizarre. 

My love affair with WNW - I have in excess of 60 of their kits - just cooled a little bit.

I always buy what they make, sight unseen. But I'm not getting the Lanc.

HK will get my money.

I suppose making kits in secret for years, before releasing them, can have negative consequences.

1 hour ago, Darren Howie said:

So WW wont release a DR-1 because Roden have one out that needs half the parts replaced yet will put out a Lancaster with a ripper one from HK about to be released.

The HK kit was announced several years ago.

Im sure it will be incredible with an incredible price but a DR-1 and Spad would of been far more welcome.

But, it's not what Sir Peter wants...

Am I the only one who is annoyed to no end that 2 of our 3 new WNW kits are Lancasters?

I have zero interest in a Lancaster bomber and was looking forward to interesting new WWI subjects.

I am also wondering what this means for future WNW kits.  Is the precedent now set for them to make whatever oddity they want from any point in history?  Or is the Dambuster project a one-off and it will be back to only WWI from now on?

Who knows.

A 1/32 Lancaster will be over 2 feet long and 3 feet wide!  

If I have to dedicate that kind of space to a model aircraft, it's going to be the visually much more interesting Felixstowe!

1 hour ago, ziggyfoos said:

I can't imagine they just whipped this up out of the blue to rain on HK's parade. I imagine WNW was committed to it for a while knowing Jackson and the Dambusters. With this being 32044 then I guess that means the other version is probably 32043. 

I was actually hoping they were going to release three new WW1 kits....

I have to say that this is a bit of a disappointment to me, if true. I've grown rather accustomed to WNW firmly sticking with the WWI time-frame aircraft.

The fact that the Initial HK release isn’t a Dambusters version is irrelevant as WNW has announced two Lancaster kits, the second one being a normal B.I/III, which overlaps the announced HK release.  Also, who knows what further releases HK had planned.  It’s unlikely they would make a large and costly Lancaster mold and only do one release.  In the end, we’ll have high quality kits from two different manufacturers that will compete with each other.

We’ll just have to see how it plays out.

I think Wingnut Wings can be what ever they want to be and produce whatever they want to produce. 

If we look at what we know prima facie.  We know that Wingnut films and Peter Jackson have been working on a film project of Dambusters for a number of years including a number of 1:1 scale replicas.  NZ has a real 1:1 scale Lancaster at MOTAT in Auckland and there is a tangible connection between 617 squadron the 'Dambusters' and New Zealand. 

So if your a millionaire film director with a passion for aviation in the midst of a project to remake a classic british war film happen with a heap of research in the project bank and you own a model kit company that produces what you personally feel like. Is it any real surprise that said model kit company is producing a Lancaster bomber in Dambuster variant??

If Wingnut follow their current standard on tooling and research the kit will be superb. 

So rather then a bad day for the large scale Modelling world it's actually a good day.  I don't think there is any hard and fast rule that says if company X produces something then company Y cannot... No one complained when Revell released it's 1/32 P51D to complete with the existent Tamiya kit AFAIK....

We basically complain too much IMHO....

54 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

I'm betting they will both be extraordinary models.

I see that as a very distinct possibility also. As to the market, for those that care to purchase a big Lanc (I do not), I'd imagine there will still be two distinct camps; those that choose the more affordable option (probably the HKM kit), and those with money to burn (opting for what will probably be a much more expensive WNW kit), and there will therefore, be room for both.

What I'm really looking forward to, is a comparison of both offerings, which we'll hopefully eventually see here on LSP. It's an amazing development, no question about that.