Sign in to follow this  
Markjames1968

Airfix new tool Griffon Spitfire

Yeah, I got all excited, as the e-mail I got through from Airfix was headed 'BIG announcment'.

My brain leapt straight to the conclusion that BIG = 1/24th scale.

My wife saw my face as I read the detail to find it was 1/48th..

"What's the matter with you?" was her comment!

19 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

Hasn't Airfix said in no uncertain terms that they are not doing any more 1/24 kits after the Mosquito?

No, Airfix have not said this. And, obviously, the Typhoon followed on from the Mosquito. I believe they have said not to expect a new 1/24th kit every year or even every couple of year as the development time is so long. All indications are that the Typhoon sold very well and was a significant money maker so Airfix know there is potential profit in the right subject. There are rumours of a 1/24th Gladiator in the works as the next large scale subject. But, nothing's official until they make an announcement.

Airfix have said repeatedly that they will not branch out into 1/32nd scale for aircraft.

The 1/72 FG.1 Phantom 2 was a "big announcement" too. Probably was for many. 

Might pick up the low back bubble top Griffon XIV in 1/48 scale, as that's as good as it gets for the timebeing.

If I get to see a 1/24 Airfix newbie in my lifetime I'd love to see new tool first generation Harriers or a low back Griffon Spit. 

Tony 

On 9/28/2018 at 5:48 AM, PhilB said:

And a Sunderland!!!!!!

Scoop of new box art!

61Vy5yP7tTL._SL1000__zpsmdwtjnig.jpg

Oh you bloody so-and-so!!!!    :lol:   You big tease.....................Id pick up a GIGANTIC 1/32 Short Sunderland in two shakes of a lambs tail 

31 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Oh you bloody so-and-so!!!!    :lol:   You big tease.....................Id pick up a GIGANTIC 1/32 Short Sunderland in two shakes of a lambs tail 

I remember seeing a picture of "Alok" a few years ago with one side of I think Tiggers vac. I also saw a vac kit at Telford too.

You think the Lanc is big??

Pfffft!

:D

Note sure why this is such a big deal, since it’s not the first Griffon Spit that Airfix has done in 1/48 scale.  They did the final Spits, the F.22/24 and FR.46/47 and they were nice new tool kits released around the same time as their excellent EE Lightnings about 20 years ago.

On 10/1/2018 at 9:38 AM, Ossington 1 said:

I really don't care for a Gladiator. Lysander or Avro 504, maybe. Has Airfix visited Shuttleworth? Anyone know?

No idea, but perhaps while Wingnut Wings are over here for Scale Modelworld, could they perhaps be persuaded to take a detour to Shuttleworth and run their measuring tape over the 504? :whistle:

16 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Note sure why this is such a big deal, since it’s not the first Griffon Spit that Airfix has done in 1/48 scale.  They did the final Spits, the F.22/24 and FR.46/47 and they were nice new tool kits released around the same time as their excellent EE Lightnings about 20 years ago.

True.  And not forgetting their PR19 too.  But if this new one is up to standard (and no reason to suppose it won't be) it will be the first XIV in 1:48 scale that doesn't need a nose job or anything else.  I certainly wouldn't need much persuasion to pick one up.  Meanwhile, Revell, sending "do one in 1:32 please" vibes your way. :please:

Edited by MikeC