HGW wet trasnfers for P-51D/K - stencils and markings

Jan_G

HGW has released wet transfers set for P-51D with stencils and all markings included in recent Revell and Tamiya kits :)

If you like to work with wet transfers as I do, its must have

http://hgwmodels.cz/en/wet-transfers/720-p-51-dk-mustang-stencils-markings-132-232025.html

p-51-dk-mustang-stencils-markings-132-23

I do not have any connection to HGW company, but if you think it belongs better to Vendors board, Mod’s feel free to move it there ;)

jan

They worked really well for me on the Tamiya Spit. used micro set (blue) underneath and they stuck really well. From memory (couple years ago-should have kept notes) about 4-6 hours then peeled away, no carrier film. Try a couple out first and come up with what works for you.

Cheers

Joe

So how thick are the decals once they are correctly applied?  Tamiya decals have a rep for being horribly thick, are these an improvement?  How do they compare to other quality aftermarket decals?

Also, do you still have to gloss coat the model or can you apply right over a flat finish?

no real measurable thickness to them at all from what I've seen...a lot like painted on markings. No carrier film just the transfer...possibly similar to those dry rub down markings?

(I do like those!!) I've applied them over both gloss and flat, flatted coated, and weathered them with no noticeable problem. and since there's no carrier film, no silvering potential!

Again, my only problem was the adherence of some of the ones I used ( not all of them had a problem...and the adherence issue was probably my fault)

1 hour ago, John1 said:

So how thick are the decals once they are correctly applied?  Tamiya decals have a rep for being horribly thick, are these an improvement?  How do they compare to other quality aftermarket decals?

Also, do you still have to gloss coat the model or can you apply right over a flat finish?

You can apply them on to any finish John. And from my own experience the thickness is much better than any decals I have used. And after few coats of varnish you will not even realize. Anyhow I still think that smaller pieces like stencils are easier to handle than insignias. If you are using Mr. Setter there will be no problem to keep them in place.

from my experience you will spend more time with wet transfers compared to traditional decals, but the results are worth the patience

jan

2 hours ago, Gewehr 43 said:

Okay, stupid newbie question here:  What's the difference between decals and wet transfers?

Normal water slide decals are just that, dip them in water and they slide right off as normal.

Wet transfers have the decal stuck to the clear top carrier and you cut them out roughly and apply the same, pushing any liquid/decal fluid out from under the decal. Then after it is sufficiently stuck down, you wait 2 - 6 hours and the carrier pulls off revealing a decal pressed on that looks much more painted on. Really 0 detectable thickness to them.