Best early 1/32 BF 109

Gazzas

34 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

I look forward to building the Cyberhobby kit.  (My kits have undamage wheel well liners; check yours)

I lost one to dry rot. Broke into two pieces, but I can't glue them together as the piece also warped before hardening and no longer sits right.

2 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

I feel that the Eduard E-1 week end edition kits are a great value when used for D and B back date conversions.  Good value for a donor kit.

Agreed !

I picked up a couple of the weekend editions in a 2 for 1 sale some years ago

because they're the only E-1 kits. I plan to use one to convert to a D with my

also old Cutting Edge conversion. It fits the nose of the Eduard kit just fine.  :clap2:

6 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I lost one to dry rot. Broke into two pieces, but I can't glue them together as the piece also warped before hardening and no longer sits right.

I had a similar problem, but Dragon sent me a replacement, no questions asked.

On 9/23/2018 at 5:47 PM, MikeMaben said:

Check it out : https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=747

It's a 2 parter.

Ray did alot of great work on this subject.  :clap2:

That is supposed to become a 3 parter, but I still haven't gotten the impetus to get back to it - not helped by all the new stuff we have been inundated with. Part 3 will mention the Trumpeter canopy issue - that damn taper - if I didn't mention it already. Doing the reviews, it was amazing how accurate the Matchbox kit was in overall shape. The trench-like panel lines and very crude detail dates it tremendously, however. Thanks for the good words for the reviews; I have to admit they were a lot of work!

4 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Agreed !

I picked up a couple of the weekend editions in a 2 for 1 sale some years ago

because they're the only E-1 kits. I plan to use one to convert to a D with my

also old Cutting Edge conversion. It fits the nose of the Eduard kit just fine.  :clap2:

Yes, considering half of Eduard's problems are with the cowling issues, they are perfect candidates for the Alley Cat early 109 conversions. There is/was also a prototype/airspeed record setter conversion out there, too.

25 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

How long ago was that? I've been hearing bad things about Dragon Care turning into Dragon Cares Less recently.

Certainly within the last year or so, as I was hard at it with the same kit here on the site, when I noticed that both had gone all brittle, but one was still a good fit in the wing.

I am sure it is possible to use the Alleycat conversions with the Cyberhobby kit with some elbow grease. However, except if you got one for a more than cheap price I would ask why? The sets are tailored for the Eduard kit (more particularly the wing inserts), they cancel most of the Eduard kit issues ( linked to the nose) and the Weekend edition is very cheap. So... 

The annoying part of the very nice Alleycat conversions is that stupidly short nose... :-( I corrected mine. So this problem can be solved with some clever cuts, plasticard and epoxy putty but this asks for time.

Hth 

Thierry 

20 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I'm about halfway through the kit. I'm finding the cowling section a bit fiddly so I may end up sealing it rather than try to make the engine viewable. The detail is really nice.

If you think that cowl is a poor fit ... try the Eduard one!! ...

Seriously though, it is easier to fit the Cyber Hobby front end ... 

I did start a build a while back on an Eduard E-1 with a Brassin (BigSin) AM kit that includes the DB-601 ... it comes with its own cowl arrangement and is designed for the Eduard kit (though I'm told it will fit the Cyber Hobby kit easily as well). The point is: the cowl is cast super thin and with better detail than the kit part ... the kit part looks much thicker and clunkier in comparison. I got a little way through some test fitting and cleanup before I had to abandon the build due to time issues. I have 3 weeks annual leave coming up at Christmas time - so I'm hoping to get back into it then.

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

On 9/25/2018 at 10:58 AM, LSP_Ray said:

That is supposed to become a 3 parter, but I still haven't gotten the impetus to get back to it - not helped by all the new stuff we have been inundated with. Part 3 will mention the Trumpeter canopy issue - that damn taper - if I didn't mention it already. Doing the reviews, it was amazing how accurate the Matchbox kit was in overall shape. The trench-like panel lines and very crude detail dates it tremendously, however. Thanks for the good words for the reviews; I have to admit they were a lot of work!

I read through these before pulling the trigger on my Eduard E-1 Profipack purchases ... along with a build review or two. Great work Ray ... and a great resource!

Rog :)

Edited by Artful69

18 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

...Yes, considering half of Eduard's problems are with the cowling issues

With the CE conversion , all I'll have to deal

with is reducing the chord dimension on slats.

Should be fun  :thumbsup:

Hi Mike,

It's not easily perceptible in your photo so I'll paste my RFI shots and try to explain. 

While I was building the kit, it was nagging at my eye.  But I couldn't be certain until I added the BoB timeframe camo to see it clearly.

In this photo I want you to notice the paint demarcation between the mottled area and the 71/02 camoflage above above the number 4 and the fuselage cross.  I tried as much as possible to mask that line straight from canopy to just before the tail.  If you look just above the leading edge of the fuselage cross, you can see that there seems to be a gentle turn-down instead of a more gradual arc that goes from canopy to tail.

u4gYFh.jpg

In this next image taken from the other side at a different angle, you can see the same effect.  Somewhere about the fuselage cross you can see that the taper from canopy to tail has an angle change.

K2nkJj.jpg

In this final image you can see that the 71/02 camoflage tapers at differently than it should.    It starts at an angle almost parallel to the canopy edges before turning inward to reach the tail.

KKWNio.jpg

I'm not claiming that my masking is perfect.  But it is close enough to illustrate the 'bulge' aft of the canopy.

I hope this explains it better.

Gaz