Best early 1/32 BF 109

Gazzas

Hi All,

Recently I completed the Eduard Bf109 WE kit:

3403.jpg

It had some shape issues which really killed my enthusiasm for the build.

I've seen box art from Cyberhobby Wing Tech Series and Trumpy.  Are these all OK, or is there one to avoid? 

Also...  at a recent show I saw a 1/32 109E that had a really weird looking tail fin...  Anyone know which one that is?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Gaz

Edited by Gazzas
change word

Like Jennings said above, I can’t speak for the trumpeter kit but I’ve built the Cyberhobby wingtech kit and other than the instructions (not even a surprise at that point) the kit is...in my opinion, perfect. Other than those already mention instructions!

i liked it so much I bought another!

Guys,

Thanks for the great replies!  So shocked to see Hasegawa at the bottom of Thierry's list.  Thanks for the info on the cyberhobby directions.  The one good thing about the 109, is there isn't much difference between versions, so anybody that has two can usually do the rest without directions if required...lol

Thanks again!

Gaz

1 minute ago, Gazzas said:

So shocked to see Hasegawa at the bottom of Thierry's list.

The Hasegawa kit dates back to the early '70s, and not only reflects the kind of detail offered in kits of that era, but also suffers a number of egregious shape issues. I tried to make a fist of one around 10 years ago (!), which turned out OK in the end, but any of the others available today would be a better option.

Kev

3 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

The Hasegawa kit dates back to the early '70s, and not only reflects the kind of detail offered in kits of that era, but also suffers a number of egregious shape issues. I tried to make a fist of one around 10 years ago (!), which turned out OK in the end, but any of the others available today would be a better option.

Kev

You did some great work on that one Kev!  I applaud you for finishing it.

I hate buying a kit and not finishing it.  I feel like I've wasted money even though I really hate working past whichever issue is getting me down.  The Eduard kit had the humpy rear half of the fuselage, but I finished it.  I've only chucked three kits in the last three years, two of which have been Eduard.

Gaz

The cyber Hobby kit is designed to have the cowlings off and engine on display, it takes a little work, sanding and fettling to get things closed up if like me you prefer panels closed up. But it is worth the effort. I’ve build the E-3 and E-4 boxes in the past, the E-3 became a bit of a sacrificial Goat in learning how to deal with the cowls and it was also being converted to a Swiss Air Force airframe which were slightly different. I like the kit, good cockpit detail and instrument panel out of the box, the rubber that simulates the canvas boot in the gear well needs a good scrub to ensure the paint sticks to it. I haven’t built the Eduard kit but do like it’s surface detail.  I have a cyber Hobby E-7 version to be built in the stash and am hoping to put all lessons learnt from the other versions into building it. As stated above, the instructions as with most of the Dragon/cyber Hobby aircraft I’ve built are less than stellar. Not as bad as the Bf 110 instructions though. 

13 minutes ago, ade rowlands said:

The cyber Hobby kit is designed to have the cowlings off and engine on display, it takes a little work, sanding and fettling to get things closed up if like me you prefer panels closed up. But it is worth the effort. I’ve build the E-3 and E-4 boxes in the past, the E-3 became a bit of a sacrificial Goat in learning how to deal with the cowls and it was also being converted to a Swiss Air Force airframe which were slightly different. I like the kit, good cockpit detail and instrument panel out of the box, the rubber that simulates the canvas boot in the gear well needs a good scrub to ensure the paint sticks to it. I haven’t built the Eduard kit but do like it’s surface detail.  I have a cyber Hobby E-7 version to be built in the stash and am hoping to put all lessons learnt from the other versions into building it. As stated above, the instructions as with most of the Dragon/cyber Hobby aircraft I’ve built are less than stellar. Not as bad as the Bf 110 instructions though. 

I do prefer my planes sealed up.

Does anyone know if those alley cat conversions for earlier 109's work for the Cyberhobby kits?

Gaz

Yep Thierry has the list in the best order ... The Cyber Hobby kit is the go to for the E-3 onwards. The cowl fit is a bit fiddly but the achilles heel of this kit, as said above, is the instructions which are a bit of a minefield.

Not as bad as the Bf.110 instructions though!!

The Eduard kit isn't all that bad, really - The cowl fit is worse than the Cyber Hobby kit and the wing slats need a tone down - but reviews by those in the know say the shape isn't all that far off!! ... and it's the only E-1 option out there ... unless wing surgery to a Cyber Hobby kit is something you'd like.

The Trumpeter kit has some shape issues - more so than the Eduard kit ... but the engineering/fit of the kit makes for a more pleasant experience in the build than either of the above IMO.

If accuracy is less of an issue to the builder than stripping out hair follicles in construction - then this is the kit for you!

Matchbox and Hasegawa fall into the same category for mine ... Too old to compete with the newer kits ... detail is weird, fit is a wrestle and inaccuracies abound. Of the two Matchbox would be the clear winner though.

Rog :)

7 minutes ago, Artful69 said:

Matchbox and Hasegawa fall into the same category for mine ... Too old to compete with the newer kits ... detail is weird, fit is a wrestle and inaccuracies abound. Of the two Matchbox would be the clear winner though.

The Matchbox kit is actually far superior to the Hasegawa one, and far more accurate, too. I'd say it rivals its modern counterparts in that regard.

Kev