RAN A4G

CJP

Hi All - I've added a few more details to push the A4G to completion

the broken slats & runners were repaired and refitted - brass wire was soldered to the curved runners so I could mount them to the back of the slats.

IMG-8564.jpgIMG_8590.jpgIMG-8591.jpg

A standby compass and elapsed time clock for the opening canopy were scratch built & fitted with some suitable Airscale instrument dials - also fitted some rear view mirrors from an Airscale etch sheet. An exhaust pipe blank was cobbled up from a circle of plastic and some brass wire.

IMG_8599.jpgIMG_8620.jpgIMG_8605.jpg

I printed some codes and serials on an inkjet printer in black - I found you really need to give the sheet a good clear coating to stop the ink bleeding when you put it in water - I airbrushed clear lacquer over the sheet and when the ink still bled I brush coated it with Microsoft Liquid decal film - finally got the decals on but lost a few in the process so good idea to have spares. Finally she got the identity A4G 155063 876.

IMG_8610.jpgIMG-8614.jpgIMG_8615.jpg

IMG_8616.jpgIMG_8617.jpg

The decals have just gone on today so will need to be sealed once dry - I decided to leave fitting the Eduard etched vortex generators until last so that is a fiddly task still to be done when the mood strikes.

CJP

Oh she is looking awesome!  The decals and identity look spot on...…..love everything about this build!

Careful putting those vortex generators on that you don't damage your paint.  Keep up the great work, the end is near

Cheers Anthony

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Oh she is looking awesome!  The decals and identity look spot on...…..love everything about this build!

Careful putting those vortex generators on that you don't damage your paint.  Keep up the great work, the end is near

Cheers Anthony

Thanks Anthony - alaninaustria gave me the following info on how he did the VG on his A4 - 

"Hello CJP - I spray painted lightly over the template with black to mark the exact location, then I used a drop of fluid CA to glue the Vortex-Generators (VGs) down. Time consuming, but well worth it in the end!! "

So will give it a bit of thought before I start and approach with caution!

Also had some advice from NAVY870 & FAAMAN on BM that the exhaust blank was a rubber bung and had no handle so have removed it

IMG_8621.jpg

regards Chris

• 5 weeks later...
21 minutes ago, GDW said:

Hey Chris, the standby compass and clock look fantastic. Excellent work there!

Thanks Greg - I have been looking at your AF-1 and its good to see you able to get back into it again - I've picked up a lot of tips from you and alaninaustria about fitting those vortex generators on my A4G when I can get to it - I have my folding tool and Tamiya diamond file ready to go - just need some patience & a steady hand.

I purchased the Flight Path 1/32 US Navy Carrier Deck set - it has a nice easy to assemble white metal boarding ladder and tow bar with etched detail - the wheel chocks are a fold up etch & I have put them aside for now as I don't find them that easy to assemble - a nice cast set would have been easier for me - still need to finish painting the ladder

IMG_8709.jpgIMG_8710.jpg

IMG_8713.jpgIMG_8711.jpg

IMG_8712.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
text

After studying the A4's models by Anthony in NZ, GDW and alaninaustria I made a start on fitting those etched Eduard vortex generators - having got the camouflage colours as good as my modelling skills will allow I was reluctant to spray through the template as alaninaustria did to mark out the positions of the vortex generators so I took a less risky approach for me of daubing paint with a stiff brush through the templates I had taped to the wing.

IMG_8714.jpgIMG-8716.jpgj

When the paint had dried I placed the template on the wing again and marked the straight edge of the VG's leaving a white scribed line

I then marked the leading edge of the VG's with strips of white tape - I then I picked up each VG with my Tamiya tweezers and placed a tiny blob of CA on it and carefully lined each one with the white line and tape - after a few goes I was able to position them pretty accurately and it was not hard to remove ones that were not properly aligned & reposition them again - the CA seems to bond to the acrylic paint well enough to hold them firm.

IMG_8725.jpgIMG_8728.jpgIMG-8727.jpgIMG-8721.jpg

A bit of careful touch up painting of the VG followed and a consult of the decreasing list of things to do!

CJP

Edited by CJP
text

17 hours ago, GDW said:

They look great. What an improvement over the chunky, molded on detail.

11 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Wow, that came out really really nice!  I think I might try that method too.

Well done buddy, I would call that a win!

Thanks guys - It was a really fiddly task & I lost half a dozen vortex generators that "pinged" off to the carpet monster however Eduard do provide plenty of spares on the etch - I think even with the ones I lost there is still enough to do another A4!

Chris

• 4 months later...

Hi all - calling this one completed - had an enforced 4 month break from modelling  with a family trauma but the urge to do some modelling is returning - will post some photos on RFI

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/82861-ran-a4g-skyhawk/&tab=comments#comment-1167122

IMG_9767.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP