RAN A4G

CJP

Don't let the ropey start put you off mate!  That's a tricky paintjob in anyone's world.  Especially on a Skyhawk rudders structure!

That airbrake came out super nice.  If you would rather an original, would you like me to check my Hasegawa spares??  Happy to post you one if I have one here...

Keep it up, I'm relying on you for my inspiration still!!

Cheers Anthony 

19 minutes ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Don't let the ropey start put you off mate!  That's a tricky paintjob in anyone's world.  Especially on a Skyhawk rudders structure!

That airbrake came out super nice.  If you would rather an original, would you like me to check my Hasegawa spares??  Happy to post you one if I have one here...

Keep it up, I'm relying on you for my inspiration still!!

Cheers Anthony 

Thanks Anthony - it would be great if you have a spare airbrake - I think I'll always be not quite happy with the one I made knowing the inside is blank and not having the option to open it without a LOT of work - as you  can see on page one I have a bunch of spare Hasegawa 1/32 Skyhawk bits thanks to GDW but the airbrakes are not amongst them.

Chris

1 hour ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Hi Chris, sorry buddy I don't have any airbrake parts......I looked everywhere!

Thanks Anthony I really appreciate you taking the time to look for it anyway mate - I'll tack in my version of the airbrake & who knows the original may turn up some time:shrug:

Chris

• 4 weeks later...

Hi All - after  my stalled attempt at painting the red/white checks on the rudder  I decided to move on and try to do the colour scheme with red/white checks on the fin with standard gull grey/white camouflage - before I committed too far I thought I would try masking & painting the red/white fin checks to see if I could get a good result with that - if ok I would then spray the gull grey otherwise look at the last two tone grey scheme.

I sprayed Tamiya XF1 flat white & brush painted Vallejo Model Color 70.957 flat red which brushed on nicely.

IMG-8669.jpg

IMG_8665.jpg

It was not easy to keep the checks aligned particularly where they wrap around the fin leading edge but I'm reasonable happy with it and only a bit of touching up still needed.

You might remember I lost the right hand air brake panel about a month ago and had to fabricate a replacement one as in the above photo - my wife just walked in, shoved her hand in front of my face with the airbrake panel on it and said is this the bit you lost!! -  she really has a talent for finding things I lose but this one takes the cake as far as I'm concerned.

IMG_8672.jpg

CJP

• 1 month later...

Hi - after about a 5 week lull in modelling I have started to get my mojo on track again I got to the point where I could start sticking gear doors on to my A4G - I sprayed Tamiya XF1 for the undersides & Mr Hobby Light Gull Grey gloss for the upper surface over Tamiya white primer - all  of the markings so far have been painted on - I have bought some Maketar Aussie roundel masks to try for the first time and will give them a go when I have finished touching up - I have AOA A4 Airframe decals sheet for the stencils on the airframe - I managed to accidentally get some superglue remover on the left hand slat and that removed the paint very quickly so that will need sanding and respraying too as well as around the wing tip navigation lights - I also have to work out the position of the black wing walkways & paint them in too.

IMG_8769.jpg

IMG_8764.jpg

IMG_8765.jpgIMG-8766.jpg

The access door for the forward engine bay (Port) was scratch built from what photos I could find as were the intake blanks 

IMG_8772.jpg

IMG_8776.jpg

The slats are just pushed into place at the moment & will be fixed once all painting and decaling is finished - likewise the wing fuel tanks & outer pylons - the only thing I am undecided on is what will go on the centreline  pylon - maybe an Eduard MER or a Buddy Refuelling Pod

IMG_8774.jpg

More to come.

CJP

Edited by CJP
edit text

• 4 weeks later...

So I bought some Maketar paint masks for the A4G roundels and was having a bad day learning how to remove them from the backing paper and apply accurately to my model - after about the third mask I was getting the feel for carefully easing them off the backing paper and on to the model with Tamiya tape - the first two masks ended up looking pretty shabby but anyway onwards and upwards - I ended up spraying the roundel blue I mixed up and decided to leave it for the day after a couple of false starts -

IMG_8384.jpgIMG_8380.jpg

IMG_8379.jpgIMG_8403.jpg

I sat the A4G on the top shelf of my modelling desk until the next modelling session so you can imagine my horror when I somehow bumped it and watched it tip backwards and disappear down the back of the desk to the floor with crunching sounds! 

IMG_8388.jpgIMG_8400.jpgIMG_8402.jpgIMG_8401.jpg

The main and nose gear are badly bent and slats destroyed themselves - slat runners disappeared into the carpet never to be seen again - apart from one landing gear door the rest seem to have escaped damage - the windscreen also separated but did not break - back to the shelf of doom? - will have to do a survey when I'm more relaxed and assess what to do - a pity because she was almost there

CJP

Edited by CJP

• 1 month later...

After a  month of remedial work I managed to get my A4G Skyhawk back on her wheels again so here she is as of today -  the iPhone photos are a bit ordinary and prone to distortion I've noticed.

I fitted  a Scale Aircraft Conversions Buddy Pod & detailed it as best I could but close up photos are pretty hard to come by - thanks to the LSP modeller MARU5137 for the links he provided for the Buddy Pod.

The drogue basket was a bit featureless so I made radial cuts with a fine razor saw and drilled out the middle to try and improve the look of it.

IMG-8558.jpgIMG_8602.jpg

I used Maketar masks for the roundels but have to admit they were challenging for me as a first time user - I  had great difficulty getting the whole roundel mask to lift from the backing sheet & had to insert a scalpel blade under to get the kangaroos to come off with the rest of the roundel - I eventually got a reasonable result but ended up using some old Roo Decal kangaroos on the underwing roundels which look ok. I intend to print some aircraft codes and serial numbers onto clear decal sheet - hopefully she will  end up as no 876

The stencils came from AOA A-4 Airframe stencils sheet 32-012.

I still need to repair the slats and fit the vortex generators to them and the wings - then attention can turn to the canopy and whatever else I've missed ( like I just noticed I neglected to fit sway braces to the Buddy Pod which will be a pain to fix)

IMG_8546.jpg

IMG-8550.jpg

IMG-8533.jpgIMG-8539.jpgIMG-8541.jpgIMG-8548-2.jpg

IMG-8585.jpg IMG-8584.jpg

CJP

Edited by CJP
photo

22 hours ago, GDW said:

Wow! I am impressed with how good the landing gear repair looks after the dive. It's amazing that the refueling probe survived. Great to see this coming along, Chris. Looking forward to seeing more progress.

+1!!