Corsair Gunsight

John1

Another Corsair question, sorry if these are getting old!  

- I noted that the 32nd Tamiya F4U-1D kit provides the Mk 8 gunsight.  This was a pretty basic unit, nothing more than a fixed reticle, not really that much different than what the USN started the war with.

Just curious if this is accurate.  By mid -45, the Army Air Corp was pretty much standardized on the K-14 gyro stabilized "ace-maker" gunsight.  I thought I read that this unit was also pretty common on Hellcats, so would it have not be used on late-war Corsairs?  The pics I've seen seem to indicate that the Mk 8 was the only sight used, I just find this to be surprising.  

Thoughts?

11 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Detail and Scale shows the Mk8 throughout Corsair production.

Didn't see any K-14s on Hellcats either.

:shrug:

Thanks Mike.  Don't recall where I heard that Hellcats had a gyro sight (may not have been a K-14 specifically) but so far in all the pictures I've seen it does look like the Corsair used the Mk 8 till the end of the war.  

Pretty surprising since the gyro sights truly gave pilots a huge advantage when shooting at an angle.   The USAAF had them widely in service since late 44, I figured the USN would have followed.   

Oh well, at least I know the Tamiya sight is the correct one.