LSP_Ron

Lancaster POS - S for Sugar R5868

Question on this aircraft.  Both the new pending HK kit and the old Tamiya kit provide these markings but both include the fuse windows.

The airframe in the RAF museum does not have fuse windows. I've touched this airframe many times and don't recall seeing them and all my photos and photos on line don't show the windows.  I can find any clear period photos of the the plane that would indicate if they were there but painted over?

So were they covered over with fresh sheet metal on the restored original? 

At some point in her squadron life Ron she had a major refit possibly with a new aft end grafted on because there are photos of her being used to bring PoWs home where no windows are apparent. I have digital copies of the 467 squadron photo albums which I'll go through tomorrow to see what I can find. Similarly she started her operational life with de Havilland needle blade props but finished up with Hamilton paddle blades. 

As promised, some pictures:

L1kWd4.jpg

Notice the window to the right of the door

zrnOQo.jpg

Needle blade props

rjBBTv.jpg

Sugar's fame led to the deletion of the nude figure!! Naughty!

whqA4I.jpg

That front window looks painted out, along with some pretty shoddy work around the w/op's window! (see also below)

KuinsB.jpg

h9Ez6D.jpg

Windows painted out, look at the squadron code letters especially.

lOK28I.jpg

t3UMNN.jpg

No proof this is PO-S but paddle blade props

30HQXM.jpg

But this definitely is....I can count 124 ops listed so late on in the war March/April 45

tzlETO.jpg

Post-war, no windows that I can see

qcWn40.jpg

Somewhat circumstantial, but no windows.

Hope this all helps and doesn't muddy the waters further!

Edited by mozart

20 hours ago, mozart said:

At some point in her squadron life Ron she had a major refit possibly with a new aft end grafted on because there are photos of her being used to bring PoWs home where no windows are apparent. I have digital copies of the 467 squadron photo albums which I'll go through tomorrow to see what I can find. Similarly she started her operational life with de Havilland needle blade props but finished up with Hamilton paddle blades. 

Is there any documented evidence for a "new aft end grafted on" on any Lancaster??  Unless the airplane had been **substantially** damaged, there would be no reason to do that.  I know we all know about the B-17 that that was done to, but that's one airplane out of 12,000.  I've never heard of that happening on any other big bomber type.  Much more likely is that (for whatever reason) the skin in those areas was replaced and the structure left intact.  Replacing half the fuselage would be a **major** undertaking.

After going through the photos it would also appear that R-5868 had early and late nose blisters, and that the latter was when it had paddle-blade props.

3 hours ago, RBrown said:

Service History

The above link will take one to a service history of R5868, which indicates that the the machine did receive a new fuselage at one point, and later new wings!

Well done R Brown, an interesting history especially the statement from RAF Waddington's wartime station commander Group Captain Bonham Carter (affectionately known as TR9 to all because of his deafness) regarding the new fuselage! :) 

During overhaul all sections of the aircraft were dismantled. At the time (unlike now) they didn't care about provenance or keeping aircraft authentic. Because the cockpit had the bombtally and noseart you could easily think that's the original complete airframe ( I believe S-Sugar was originally to be built as a Manchester). If components weren't up to sratch they were scrapped or reduced to spares and replacement parts fitted, either new spares or reconditioned used ones.

During wreck recovery I have found several Lancaster fuselage Perspex windowpanels which had been painted over black.

Cees

It's sounding like triggers broom (sorry, it's a UK reference - Only Fools and Horses) - owned the same broom for 40 years and it had 25 new handles and 20 new broom heads. Or could it be a completely different aircraft to the one pictured in the war ??  Whatever, thanks for the photos, there are some great weathering pictures, especially around the engine and the props.  Time for me to start research in preparation for the kit I think.