Sign in to follow this  
Southern Bandit

I miss the RAF Nimrod

I'm lucky enough to live close to two big RAF bases here in N E Scotland, actually RAF Kinloss that was my late Dads last serving post that operated the Nimrods has switched to Army Barracks, so I live beside the only RAF base left in Scotland now, RAF Lossiemouth, RAF Leuchars down Fife way is passed over to the Army now too ... real shame, that's where around this time of year I'd go see the airshows, and fantastic airshows they were too, that's stopped now too with RAF Lossie not taking up the slack, so AFAIK, no annual air show in Scotland anymore, at least not on the scale we used to have at RAF Leuchars.

I'm woffeling though.

From back in the RAF Kinloss days, really miss seeing the Nimrod flying around our skys, Kinloss was actually my late Dad's last RAF tour before settling down here up North ... but yea, miss the Nimrods.

Here are a couple of pics and some others the Nimrod would take in their normal role, cheeky Ruskies invading our waters :)

But damn, those Russian naval aviators must have been brave ... I assume they never tried to land on the carrier with the other Aircraft parked beside at the same time? In heavy rolling seas and at night? Scary Scary stuff if they did.

I assume this ship is the Admiral Kuznetsov ... I think it is, it is often seen parked up here in the Moray Firth in extreme bad weather, and international diplomacy does not mind that, but it has been seen dumping who knows what rubbish into our waters too.

The other ships are ours, from an exercise I suppose?

I'm not going political with this, really am not, have often thought of buying the Trumpeter 1/350 kit of this carrier :)

But damn, landing on this deck ... Thats a tight strip to aim for and those Aircraft are not small.

8YjWRBa.jpg

sl7yi5Z.jpg

Obviously, our guys this time, from a Nimrod too :)

tQwQjxm.jpg

Nd1hgkD.jpg

Edited by Southern Bandit

There's an annual airshow down in Ayr now which is reputed to be good. Just flying displays, so static exhibits I think.

One of my uncles was based at Leuchars for many years so lots of happy memories of visits to the airshows.

9 hours ago, Southern Bandit said:

But damn, those Russian naval aviators must have been brave ... I assume they never tried to land on the carrier with the other Aircraft parked beside at the same time? In heavy rolling seas and at night? Scary Scary stuff if they did.

Looks like that boat has seen better days! 

With regard to operating in heavy seas and at night, by all accounts, they simply do not.  Seems like they most often fly during good weather and calm seas.  Mostly lightly loaded with minimal / no weapons.   Certainly neither Russia nor China has demonstrated the ability to fly bad weather / nighttime cyclic ops like the USN routinely practices.   

Nice pics, thanks for posting!