Building a Revell P-51D

docdodj01

Another update: So I made my decals, but unfortunately they shattered on contact with water, even with the liquid decal film sealer.  So I made another on, waited 48 hours for all the ink to dry.  I then applied microscale liquid decal film solution, brushed on the decals at least 5 times, spaced in a 24 hour period.  Then the moment of truth....

45689663251_95831d9fa5_c.jpgUntitled by Docdodj, on Flickr

I cut the Donald Duck artwork as close as possible.  On placement, it looked good, but afterwards had some minor cracking and discoloration.

43871615750_2cba9f9728_c.jpgUntitled by Docdodj, on Flickr

• 5 months later...

Finally updating my build! I got sidelined because my house underwent major renovations, and because I lost the decals for the tail number for the vertical fin during the moving around.  So fast forward to 2 days ago.  While fixing up some stuff in the bedroom, I found the lost decals.  So I placed on the tail, touched up the Donald duck decal, and here it is:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fsu9wFDn3r3EXzes7

So I hope to finish a gloss coat by next week, followed by weathering!  Light at the end of the tunnel!

Edited by docdodj01
added a few details

• 1 month later...

After wards, the decal on the tail number, at the rudder also broke up. I deduced it may be due to not enough sealant. During the process of removing it, I lifted off some paint. But since I didn't attached the decal, I decided to place it aside, and decide later if I reprint another decal, or just mask it. Anyways, I now decided to place clear gloss, did a panel line wash, and started weathering the kit.

67586-AA4-D1-AE-4475-86-ED-1-CF63558-D9-

Looking at different images, the undersides of the P-51D was very dirty, so I aimed for it as close as I can

743-D6-BA9-B64-E-4308-A5-C8-85-A0-DB7-BF
From what I understand, smoke stains from USAAF aircraft was mostly dark gray, so I went with it.

432-A5-D1-E-385-C-461-F-938-E-A27-C08-C7

Light at the end of the tunnel, finally!

• 1 month later...