Sign in to follow this  
tomprobert

Kids and the future of modelling

As some of you may already know, I am a teacher at a primary school in Kent, in south-east England. We have an 'activities programme' at my school, where staff are encouraged to run clubs, so I decided to start up a model making club about 5 years ago.

I have been astonished with the interest in this club, and I currently have 25 members who come along every Tuesday evening for an hour and we happily build away! I could easily have a lot more, but sadly Health and Safety gets in the way. I buy Airfix starter packs in bulk initially, but then many go out and buy their own and bring them along too.

The picture below was taken at the end of last term, during our final meet before the holidays. I ran and end of year competition, with the best model winning an Airfix 1/72nd scale Lancaster.

43890706065_a988fa3362_z.jpgIMG_6759 by Thomas Probert, on Flickr

As you can see, for 9-10 year olds the standard is pretty high - I don't worry at all about accuracy and whether they're painting them the correct colours - to me the most important thing is to light a spark and hope it progresses to a young person getting hooked on the hobby. The parents absolutely love it too, and often comment about how pleased they are that their children are enjoying it so much and not playing computer games as much, instead they're at the dining room table roping dad into helping them build their Spitfire!

From my point of view, the future of the hobby is good - there's a lot of interest out there and it just needs to be explored.

Tom

Well done Tom, get 'em young!  I did exactly the same when I was teaching (happily retired from teaching now for 8 years!) in my primary school in Weymouth, and I also found the level of interest and involvement high, but it's good to hear that in the intervening period with more and more "cyber diversions" that some kids still want to be hands on!  

Wow, good deal Tom! That's all it took to spark a lifelong love of modeling; my dad buying me my first kit, then encouraging me a long the way.

Love of aviation also happened around the same time, also thanks to my father who took me to aviation shows.

Nice to know the next gen is still interested in modeling.

Superb work from a fellow Kentish Man (or Man of Kent....) getting youngsters involved...

where is your school?

I am the board chairman for a multi-academy trust of 5 schools and would love one of ours to do something like this...

Edited by BarryWilliams

When I was in 9th grade, the High School I attended had a club hour once a week during school time. We also had a mandatory read a book hour once a week as well. I joined the model club which met on Tuesday mornings 2nd period. It was great! Guys who built cars, planes, ships, and armor. The Teacher was cool, and he built kits as well. We learned tricks from each other from paint to puttying. Also learned about the history, mechanics, and engineering aspects of the subject matter. Always looked forward to it. I wish schools did this now. Get them off the cell phones and expanding their worlds through clubs like this. Good for you Tom, for doing this. I'm sure those youngsters truly enjoy it!

This is the most encouraging thing I have seen in a long time! 

Aside from being the most fun you can have, modeling teaches so many positive things to kids!  

It encourages patience, reenforces the value of putting in sustained effort for a delayed reward, establishes an appreciation for hand-made things, the importance of doing things to the best of one's ability, and more.

These are all very beneficial lessons that will last forever, and rub off into many other areas of life.  

Here's to you, Tom, and the kids in your young modeler's society in Kent! 

:clap2:

Great work from the little guys! Kudos to you Tom for inspiring the imagination of these young minds.

I have my son involved in modelling too.  Abeit, he spends enough time on xBox. 

I attached a pic from his effort this year.  He (10) won his age group 13 & Under. 

He used an airbrush for paint.  His first time using putty worms and liquid frisket for masking, mottle with brush, decal setting solution and CA glue.  I coached him, demo then your on your own.  I helped him mask the canopy using Eduard masks.

Highlights was watching his face light up when he removed the masks and CA gluing his fingers together.

We are starting a Dad & Lad OOB project.  A pair of Greek F16's Block 50 using Tamiya's 1:72 offering.  Now if we can just find time between soccer and ice hockey.

33901236_10107020229725213_5046852959556

33900377_10107020234765113_5877159709416

It's great to see some of you guys motivating new blood into modelling.  I have hopes for my granddaughter but at only 27 months she's not quite ready for more than opening my bench drawers or dragging me from my bench to blow bubbles or some other kind of play.

Rick, your son's FW looks great!

Gaz