How To Build An RF-4B?

otis252

You can build one of 7 RF-4Bs built (from the last batch of J-wing types, the final three having the rounded nose camera hatches fitted).

The Avionix/Black box resin was based on the Revell parts, so using the Revell is entirely doable. It also means chopping the fwd fuse and underside and wing to mate the Revell SLAR cheeks and elongated ECS channels, but mating plastic to plastic is much easier. 

I sold my Avionix/Black Box sets and Revell recce parts but if you find the instructions for the resin conversion it'll help you understand where to cut.

HTH

Tony

I should add that it's better to go the Revell than resin route. You get the nose interior, RF-4 glare shield and front IP from Revell but use the Tamiya F-4J NLG front door.

(The BB/Avionix solid resin kit's nose is overly stuffed with sensors which would not have been all fitted at the same time, and windows need cutting from acetate.) 

AMS make the flare dispensers for the rear dorsal fuselage flanks and you'll want GT short or long nozzles, depending on when your chosen RF-4B was operational, and probably GT or Rhino seamless inlets for the J too. There are decals out there from CAM. 

A new tool Photo Phantom is way overdue. C'mon Tanmodel!

Tony

The best approach is also the most expensive one: Start with a Tamiya F-4J, add a RF-4C nose and add parts from a F-4B conversion set if you want to build an early bird with flat wings, short exhausts and so on.

Another option: you start with a RF-4C kit and a full F-4B conversion set plus a set of corrected resin air intakes.

This not the easiest approach as you will have to adapt some B parts tailored for a Tamiya kit to the Revell one but this is also a less expensive one and you should get everything you need.

For your information, it is not that complex to mix and match parts from both families of kits. The main dimension difference between them is the mid and rear fuselage and tail cross-sections but this is fortunately not a major problem at the nose level.

Hth

Thierry

3 hours ago, Lothar said:

You'll neeed the long nozzles for the last 10 airframes build, you can easily identify them

as they are in the BuNo. 1573xxx range... [snip]

Lothar

No, all RF-4Bs were delivered with short can type J79-GE-8 engines and all in-service survivors switched to the long can J79-GE-10 engines around 1980.

The Tamiya F-4J + Revell IP, glare shield, nose and fwd belly parts to build one of the seven J-winged flat-noses -- BuNo 157342-157348** -- is by far the easiest route. 

Decals for 157348:

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/CAM32077

HTH

Tony

**Note that some sources say BuNo 153114 & 153115, from the first batches, also had the thicker J wing, but I cannot verify that

Edited by Tony T
add info

Hi Otis I have now finished a resin nose and lower fuselage , to build an RF-4B/C/E . this can be built on the revell F-4E/F kit Or on the  Tamiya F-4 E ,which requires a bit more cutting up of the host kit .please see my ebay listings . Jim .http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/lroybrownmodels .http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232905658020?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649. regards 

Hey guys, one more thing. I'm leaning to building RF-4B #157348 when it served in VMFP-3, because I have the CAM decal sheet for it. I'm I right in thinking this jet had the thick wings of the F-4J? What engines would it have and would it have the cable duct of the ECM equipment on the intakes? Many thanks for any help.

Chuck

19 hours ago, otis252 said:

Thanks guys for all the info. Does anyone know if the Revell RF-4C nose will fit on the Tamiya F-4J? Thanks.

Chuck

Yes, but you need to cut the nose barrel back a tad a la F-4E fuselage. Someone else can tell you how many mm but it's slightly beyond the L-E of the windshield.

17 hours ago, otis252 said:

Hey guys, one more thing. I'm leaning to building RF-4B #157348 when it served in VMFP-3, because I have the CAM decal sheet for it. I'm I right in thinking this jet had the thick wings of the F-4J? What engines would it have and would it have the cable duct of the ECM equipment on the intakes? Many thanks for any help.

Chuck

Yes all the above and 90% certain it would have the shorter jet cans. The longer ones came around the time the aircraft went from shiny 16440 to a matt grey finish. 

HTH

Tony

Edited by Tony T
erratum

Thanks again guys. I think I'm going to try to go the route of the Tamiya F-4J with graft of the Revell RF-4C nose. Hope that's the right way to go.  Going to try to use a GT Resin front IP and glare shield but unsure about the rear cockpit and IP, any suggestions? Thanks.

Chuck