Darker blue paint spec on aggressor F-16's (FS35109 or FS35190?)

Marcel111

Hi guys,

I wonder if anyone has reliable information to solve this conundrum:

Most of the decals specifications I see (including Two Bobs)  have the darker blue of the Alaska blue/gray camo'd F-16's listed as FS35190... this is the camo I am talking about:

vVT2Ea.jpg

But the online paint guides for the Nellis analagously painted F-16's have the darker blue shade listed as FS35109. Odd, since they seem to be the same shade of blue:

7x6nKy.jpg

Initially I thought the FS35109 specification was wrong. However, the darker blue on aggressor F-15's is always listed as FS35109 and the darker blues on the F-15 and F-16 sure look like they are the same:

UZT9fF.jpg

FS35190 and FS35109 look really different next to each other, here are FS35109 (darker) and FS35190 (lighter) blue on a NSAWC F-16A next to each other:

wkguh7.jpg

I want to be sure to get the specification right for my F-16D Block 52 Nellis "Aggressor".  Right now I am guessing that some Nellis F-16's have FS35109 and some have FS35190 as their darker blue shades but any informed insights would help.

Thanks,

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

<<<Right now I am guessing that some Nellis F-16's have FS35109 and some have FS35190 as their darker blue shades but any informed insights would help.>>>

I'm not an expert on this, but while researching my F-16 Aggressor build I reached the same conclusion. My only suggestion is to try and find a pic of the specific bird and then hope it's of good enough quality to tell the shades apart. I tried to find a pic of my bird, could not, and followed the decal instructions. Also note that you have posted pics of AK, Ellis, and NSAWC birds, and I think their may be differences in the blues used for each squadron. 

Hakata has these colors :

HTK-A154 – White Grey – FS36628, used in so-called „Blizzard” and „Digital Splinter” schemes of USAF aggressors’ F-16s and F-15s

HTK-A155 - Air Superiority Blue – FS35450, used in so-called „Blue Flanker” scheme of F-16s of 18th and 64th and F-15s of 65th USAF Aggressor Sqdns

HTK-A054 – Grey – FS36270, used in so-called „Blue Flanker” and „Blizzard” schemes of USAF aggressors’ F-16s (18th and 64th AGRS)

HTK-A156 – Aggressor Blue – FS35109, used in „Blue Flanker”, „Blizzard” and „Digital Splinter” schemes of USAF aggressors’ F-15s and F-16s

HTK-A157 – Aggressor Grey – FS36251, used in „Digital Splinter” (F-15), „Blue Flanker” (F-15 leading edges, F-16 radome) and „Blizzard” (F-16) schemes

HTK-A158 – Mod Eagle Grey – FS36176, colour of radome in so-called „Blue Flanker” and „Digital Splinter” schemes of USAF aggressors’ F-15s

13493_rd.jpg

18 hours ago, Lud13 said:

Hello

FS35109 is the right choice 100%

Thx Lud... I am wondering how you can say this with 100% certainty?

18 hours ago, Pascal said:

Hakata has these colors :

HTK-A156 – Aggressor Blue – FS35109, used in „Blue Flanker”, „Blizzard” and „Digital Splinter” schemes of USAF aggressors’ F-15s and F-16s

Thx Pascal, I have these colors and have tested that blue. To my eye the FS35109 seems just a little too dark? I may end up going for a FS35109 and FS35190 mix.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 5:07 PM, Marcel111 said:

Thx Lud... I am wondering how you can say this with 100% certainty?

Hello Marcel

There is a guy who is member of my Aggressor/Adversary facebook page, and he have been the supervisor over the F-4, F-16, OV-10, A-10 & C/KC-130 paint shops, He sad to me he designed the original aggressor schemes for the F-16s and was responsible for updating them for the 57th. So if he say the darkest color is FS35109 I believe him :) . U can also check my group if u need some more info, I know lot of guys are happy to help with info and photos.

19 hours ago, Lud13 said:

Hello Marcel

There is a guy who is member of my Aggressor/Adversary facebook page, and he have been the supervisor over the F-4, F-16, OV-10, A-10 & C/KC-130 paint shops, He sad to me he designed the original aggressor schemes for the F-16s and was responsible for updating them for the 57th. So if he say the darkest color is FS35109 I believe him :) . U can also check my group if u need some more info, I know lot of guys are happy to help with info and photos.

Thx Lud, that is very helpful. At this point I am entirely convinced that the Nellis F-16's used and still in use, use FS35109. I am still wondering just a little bit if some F-16's, esp the Alaska aggressors, use FS35190 but but for the Nellis DJ I am building I will use FS35109.

Incidentally, Vallejo 71.111 is to my eye a very good match for FS35109.

Here is a little sampling palette I put together using what I considered pics with good light balance:

UFaBIG.jpg

Cheers,

Marcel