Best F-4G Conversion

otis252

13 hours ago, Luca said:

Ron, I have something like 10 Tamiya F-4s in my stash awaiting for some goodies....:coolio:

Luca...I've got 5 Tamiya F-4C/D...1 F-4J and 1 F-4EJ....6 Revell F-4E/G and 2 RF-4C's to build...Have 2 built and probably 20 1/48 F-4's mostly Hasegawa! Dang...guess I better get busy! LOL!

Cheers...Ron

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, Avenger2614 said:

I have some of the GT Resin sets for the Revell kit for sale at a steep discount, if anyone is interested. Please PM me if you'd like to look at getting them. Thanks!

-Daniel S.

Westminster, CO

US of A

Hey Daniel.  I PM'd you about these sets.

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

On 9/21/2018 at 3:02 PM, 32scalelover said:

So since there isn't a GT resin complete conversion set for the F-4G; what all needs to be updated?

Greg

One thing not mentioned thus far, at least in this particular topic, is that the upper wing bulges are too sharp-edged in the Revell kit.

They're nicely defined, but too sharp and need rounding off at the corners all the way round.

• 5 years later...

Warning Topic necro :)

I'm starting to research my next project ans I found this topic.

On 9/21/2018 at 4:18 PM, 32scalelover said:

I have seen a conversion set from TAC Scale Dynamics/CAM.  Any opinions on this set compared to GT Resin?

Greg

On 9/21/2018 at 4:22 PM, thierry laurent said:

Outdated with not many incorrectly shaped/scaled items. This was valid when this was the only option as this asked for a lot of work to get an acceptable result. Not recommended!

Curious about that one.
I do have the TAC Scale conversion too I was planning to use and wondered if there could be more infor about what is incorrectly shaped? 

Tac_scale_F4G_01.png

The kits has 2 Harms + launchers, a nose and top fin antenna, seats and rear IP.

It misses unfortunately the various fuselage antennas

Tac_scale_F4G_02.png

The two main parts seems pretty ok to me. they are certainly not perfect but when I compare them to the GT nose for instance, I feel TAC Scale parts are actually better

Unless I miss something obvious from these ? 

Tac_scale_F4G_03.png

Seats and Bear IP

Edited by red Dog

Thanks Thierry :)

I'll press the issue because in search of the best F4G conversion I am really not convinced by GT resin. Can't really spot my issue though, just an impression

I quickly testfit the TAC scale nose on the Revell F-4F and It fits  rather well

I'll see if I can get my hands on scale drawing of the F4G to see how far the TAC scale nose is.

Tac_scale_F4G_04.png

Edited by red Dog

4 hours ago, red Dog said:

I'll press the issue because in search of the best F4G conversion I am really not convinced by GT resin. Can't really spot my issue though, just an impression

I quickly testfit the TAC scale nose on the Revell F-4F and It fits  rather well

I'll see if I can get my hands on scale drawing of the F4G to see how far the TAC scale nose is.

Tac_scale_F4G_04.png

The best scale drawings of Phantoms I've come across are those of Jumpei Temma, viewable on his Wings of Pegasus website. While he hasn't done the F-4G specifically, his E model plans might prove useful as the shapes are identical save for the chin modification beneath the radome. CLICK HERE

Additionally, this photo might help in assessing the nose contours. CLICK HERE

Edited by allthumbs

Hi

I scratch built mine from the Tam 's kit .I  used Isracast (or Wingman models.. same stuff) outer slatted wings, Eduard PE part for the exhaust nozzles, I ordered the Red fox cockpit, but this set is dedicated to the Revell kit, and the Instrument panels are not adapted  to that of the Tam's one, (Revell parts are too large compared to the Tam's one)

I struggled  a bit with the rear IP to fit it  , but I am happy with the final result . antennas ( chin , and vertical fin tip are " homemade  ) decals from "Speed hunter graphic , cockpit ( side wall , rear bulkheads are scratch built ) "the challenge worth it ..................Ah !!! seats are from "Sparkit models " a must have"...... finally, I didn’t spend too much money on goodies 

Alain

link from a Franch Forum , my pctures here on LSP are no more available 

http://fighters.forumactif.com/t103329-conversion-f-4-g-phantom-1-32

img_4013.jpg

Edited by alain11

3 hours ago, red Dog said:

Warning Topic necro :)

I'm starting to research my next project ans I found this topic.

Curious about that one.
I do have the TAC Scale conversion too I was planning to use and wondered if there could be more infor about what is incorrectly shaped? 

Tac_scale_F4G_01.png

The kits has 2 Harms + launchers, a nose and top fin antenna, seats and rear IP.

It misses unfortunately the various fuselage antennas

Tac_scale_F4G_02.png

The two main parts seems pretty ok to me. they are certainly not perfect but when I compare them to the GT nose for instance, I feel TAC Scale parts are actually better

Unless I miss something obvious from these ? 

Tac_scale_F4G_03.png

Seats and Bear IP

One issue that stands out from these photos is the tail piece: on the real aircraft, the large bullet shaped fairing that sits atop the tail rests right above the rudder. The conversion part, perhaps patterned off an inaccurate kit piece, extends things too far up the fin, resulting in a noticeably truncated bullet fairing.

A photo of the real jet to illustrate: CLICK HERE

2 hours ago, red Dog said:

Tac_scale_F4G_04.png

Well, that set was tailored for the Revell kit. Adapting it in the Tamiya kit will not be easy as the cockpit is narrower, the landing gear extension under the nose is also narrower and the tail is thicker! Actually, if the dimensions of both kits are comparable all the cross sections of the fuselage are at least slightly different, from the nose to the rudder!

Tamiya is not an option for me as I have another project to convert a J to a B and that will be based on Tamiya F-4J

My future  F-4G conversion will be based on the Revell F-4F indeed.

that way I'll fight have fun with both :)

Edited by red Dog

There is the possibility of a future Red Pills Models F-4G Advanced Wild Woozel. 

Based on what they've done so far with the F-4B kit I'm seriously impressed and RPM probably will, in time, deliver the best F-4E/F/G — just that it might be five or so years away and land at £250-300. 

I'm also wondering if ResKit might tackle the 1/32 Tamiya F-4 one day. They're producing some great gear already: ALQ-119, -131 and -184, LAU-34/AGM-45 Shrike combo, AGM-78/LAU-80 combo, AGM-88/LAU-118, 610 US gallon c/l tank and fitting + J79-GE-17 nozzles. 

Wingman do a great LES set, there are torque box belly straps out there, leaving just the nose and tail mods, cockpit and the antennae. Yes please ResKit!  We need 3D printed parts for this beast!

Tony