Best F-4G Conversion

otis252

Hey guys, what's the best way to get the best F-4G. The Revell F-4G kit with the GT Resin Correction or go with the Tamiya F-4E with the full conversion? Also, what other corrections/after market sets are needed? Any advice would be helpful. Many thanks.

Chuck

There is no perfect approach. The Tamiya E is globally more accurate than the Revell one. So if money is not an issue and you do not have one kit, go for the Tamiya route. Another approach is mixing both kits as the Revell kit can give you the IPs, the pylons and missiles for an early bird,  some antennas, slat wings and the drop tanks. However, you will still need some items such as an accurate nose antenna. 

Hth

Thierry 

Just now, 32scalelover said:

..............What is the Sierra Hotel set?

Seemingly near impossible to get.  For whatever reason, the SH stuff is near to impossible to order from the site or get in any way, unless you are standing in front of SH's stand at a show. 

10 minutes ago, Out2gtcha said:

Seemingly near impossible to get.  For whatever reason, the SH stuff is near to impossible to order from the site or get in any way, unless you are standing in front of SH's stand at a show. 

Is there a master conversion set that includes all the pieces needed or do you need to but several sets and combine them?

Is the GT resin set easier to get?

Greg

Edited by 32scalelover

9 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

Is there a master conversion set that includes all the pieces needed or do you need to but several sets and combine them?

Is the GT resin set easier to get?

The GT Resin stuff is probably much easier to get but I'm no expert in what it comes with, or what is needed, which other SMEs may be able to answer better. Might be worth dropping Gary of GT Resin a PM on it. 

13 minutes ago, 32scalelover said:

Greg

No complete conversation, GT Resin used to do a pretty comprehensive set for both Tamiya and Revell, including cockpits, but it's no longer available. Also the weapons and pods changed depending on era and location. The easiest, and cheapest, route is using the Revell kit, and GT Resin upgrades, AMS make great ECM pods, and missiles, both are available from Sprue Brothers.

Do you have an idea which aircraft you wish to model?

1 hour ago, 32scalelover said:

I was wanting to do a Wild Weasel for the Iraq war.

There are a couple of examples on this sheet which took part in the Iraq war, notable are the different ECM pods, both equipped with AIM-88, which the Revell kit doesn't supply, so it'd be either aftermarket, or making a request in the Traders Board for some from another kit.

A great article here

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

confirmed :D

great product's quality but it is an odyssey to get something from them if you are on the other side of the ocean :(

unless you hire this guy...

10884248_ori.jpg

Edited by Luca

I was hoping for the Tan Model Recce and Weasel Phantoms but I fear Baris's dreams will not be fulfilled in my lifetime.

If I built one at this juncture it would be a crewed wheels-up OOB Revell, dangling from the ceiling so I could live with the nearer F4H-1 shaped canopy profile, the aiframe painted in European One grey and green to mask the other shortfalls. More fun that way.

Tony