Gunze thinner vs leveling thinner

LSP_K2

In my experience, the Gunze lacquer thinners work well with lacquer- and alcohol-based acrylic paints (Tamiya, Gunze aqueous, MRP, SMS, etc) , and I've even used it successfully with enamels. It doesn't, however, work well with latex-based acrylics such as those that generally tend to come in the little eye-dropper bottles.

Kev

9 minutes ago, LSP_Ray said:

I would agree with Kev. Using one manufacturer's lacquer paint with another's acrylic is asking for it. Tamiya lacquer thinner works with their own acrylics, but I believe it was designed to do so.

I've heard that the leveling thinner also works great for Tamiya, but it may have been the Tamiya lacquers (which I love), that was being referred to. I really have no idea.

Thanks for the inputs, fellas, I appreciate it. I'm beginning to suspect that a G-14 I'm working on, is going to be a blend of Tamiya and Gunze acrylics, Model Master enamels and Gunze and Tamiya lacquers. Since to me, the exterior finish on this model is critical, I'll be using every trick that I know.

To answer your direct question, Mr Color Levelling Thinner is nothing more than Mr Color Thinner with an added retarder. The formulaes are virtually identical (except for the added retarder!). The added retarder helps prevent tip dry on your airbrush, helps prevents "stringing" (the paints solvent evaporating inside your airbrush causing the paint to thicken) , and also slows the drying rate down on the painted surface so it will self level better. You can buy Mr Color Retarder as a stand alone product and add it to both versions to slow down the drying time of the paint. I will even add Mr Retarder to Mr Color Levelling Thinner to make a higher glossy shine when I require it. As previously mentioned, Gunze and Tamiya alcohol based acrylics can be thinned with either version of the thinner (in addition to the other alcohol based acrylics). In addition, it is my preferred thinner for Testors enamel paints (including Model Master), working better than mineral spirits and even Testors own thinner.  IMNSHO, Mr Color Leveling Thinner performs better than the "regular version" and is my preferred choice for thinner since it helps solve the above issues.  

Edited by modelingbob

On 9/18/2018 at 8:23 PM, GDW said:

Here in the States, you can get Mr. Leveling Thinner through Sprue Brothers.

It's way cheaper from Scale Hobbyist.

The big 400 ML bottle is $18.99 at SB, but only $12.29 at Scale Hobbyist.

I swear by Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and always have 2 of 3 of the big bottles on hand; use it constantly.

23 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

I've heard that the leveling thinner also works great for Tamiya, but it may have been the Tamiya lacquers (which I love), that was being referred to. I really have no idea.

The Tamiya "acrylics" work beautifully with Mr. Color Leveling thinner.

I used to shoot them with X20A, but not anymore.  The leveling thinner with that retarder results in a much better paint finish, and also one that is more durable.