Undersize Trump. MiG-21 MF Fuselage?

Alain Gadbois

Hi Ray,

This first came along a bit by accident after I bought the Trumpeter kit and found out what seemed like unsuspected problems for the kit. I wanted to share my own research on the subject and find solutions that could only be determined with all the first hand info I gathered. 

After that, sure, I guess I will build the kit, but not too sure when...And I might be tempted to do a PFM instead, with the PF dorsal hump.

Alain

Thank you Alexey for these very useful drawings! These measurements complement nicely the ones we took.

Here is the progress on the modifications to the fuselage.

After cutting the opening was filled in with thin styrene sheet and the the fuselage reinforced on the inside.

bMP5QTZ.jpg

aTbthXW.jpg

The glue having dried overnight, the exterior  was filled with Apoxie Sculpt.

sv1Lk7n.jpg

The epoxy was left to harden in the jig. Again the following day, I planned the other cut to add an additional 3.5mm to the fuselage. Note it is also angled down, so the gear opening is now parallel to the fuselage bottom. The forward aux. intake door needs to be lowered down 1mm and tilted some amount as to be parallel with the intake. 

18SJPLp.jpg

Again the inside is reinforced with styrene, and filled outside with epoxy paste.

dXnIIjS.jpg

cVERes1.jpg

I will look into the intake area next!

Thanks for watching,

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois

Now this is how it looked this morning, quite a bit of difference in the total length when comparing the modified half with the other:

J4q6fLQ.jpg

To make the intake lip, and to fit it positively to the nose, I cut various circles with an Olfa cutter. 

aarg4nj.jpg

Assembled as shown, with one set glued to the modified fuselage side. The total exterior diameter of the rings is too great, but I needed rigid parts to minimize distortion. The extra plastic will be trimmed later...

DxzUMRB.jpg

The lip section turned over. I used the kit part, but because it is smaller, I will have to add the missing circumference bit with a suitable styrene strip.

F1OYw79.jpg 

The aux. intake has been tilted and lowered 1mm. The gaps were filled with styrene sheet, to be faired in with epoxy paste later. The extra diameter of the intake will make this simpler, as the fuselage, with the corrections around the nose, is now of a greater diameter also. I discovered today that the intake cone is wrong in shape. It should be quite a bit wider at the level of the intake lip. Oh well, another part to correct! And I must do the other half too!

962Vl6B.jpg

Tomorrow, more work around the nose and make the transition from intake lip to fuselage.

Bye for now!

Alain

10 hours ago, phasephantomphixer said:

Waaay too much work (measurements alone) invested to not have these cast for the masses!

I hope that will be done...

Doing great work sir

Thank you! 

After putting in much effort in this, I think many might be interested in getting accurate main fuselage parts in resin rather than doing all the cuts and rescribing that is needed with the kit parts. 

Also additional versions can be proposed. Appart from the MF, the PFM, SMT and the PF are also possible, with some appropriate detail modifications.

I can cast them without difficulty if anyone is interested!

What version would you like best?

If you are interested, please comment!

Alain

10 hours ago, Fencer-1 said:

Honestly speaking, I already intend to make resin replacement nose for MiG-21SM/MF. Next year I think. 

Good luck with your project, can't have too many MiG kits and accessories in 1/32. The Trumpeter kits are showing their limitations. The MiG 15 and 17 are the most disappointing...

Alain

Hi all!

I had problems aligning the front of both fuselage sections to glue on the other half of the ring I made yesterday. The modifications on one half only made precise fitting impossible so I decided to modify the second half instead of working on the intake. This went quickly and it is almost done. 

r4ZJdhe.jpg

jJk5AwW.jpg

jEdpCY2.jpg

I am looking into the MF fairing to see was is wrong with it. At first look, it seems like it is the fuselage shape that is too tall, and this reduces the height of the fairing by an equivalent amount. More details to come...

Alain