Undersize Trump. MiG-21 MF Fuselage?

Alain Gadbois

14 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

André,

Is it just the cockpit or all of the front fuselage? I had forgotten about that one!

Alain

It is a complete Tcheck Mig 21.

Edited by dora9

André,

Thanks for the great photos. I will call to see if we can go measure the front end!

51 minutes ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

A bit off topic perhaps, but several years ago, I was traveling just a bit north of here and saw a Polish MiG-21PF on the back of a rig in a restaurant parking lot. I have photos here,... somewhere.

That's cool to see one by chance like this!

Alain

On 9/15/2018 at 3:57 AM, hal9001 said:

Hello,

do you really trust those drawings? .... but many drawings are even worse

Thank you!!

Drawings in magazines or sources of various kinds can be /and usually are/ mistaken as much as the worst kits available.

It beats me why people still rely on those.

2 hours ago, Eagle Driver said:

Thank you!!

Drawings in magazines or sources of various kinds can be /and usually are/ mistaken as much as the worst kits available.

It beats me why people still rely on those.

Well. This is not so simple. Drawings are like kits. Some are extremely accurate, some are very bad and most are average ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys!

Today a friend and I went all the way to Trenton, Ontario, to take photos and measure the MiG-21 MF they have outside.

First, we measured the total length and found a difference of 19mm between the MiG Bureau dimensions and our measurements.

In 1/32, this amounts to only 0.6mm! These are the dimensions that gave me a strong suspicion that the kit was too short.

I now have to digest all the info to create a picture of what is wrong with the kit and how to fix it. The problems begin from the front edge of the main wheel wells to the front intake opening.

Photos were taken from the side, at a good distance, from front to back, to make a mosaic that will minimize distortion. Details photos were also taken.

jTb1fQy.jpg

7sfyfMu.jpg

EDj4zr8.jpg

FCycvcu.jpg

In conclusion for now, the kit really is short. I cannot comment on the drawings yet to see if they agree with the measurements we took today...

Bye for now!

Alain

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all!

Here is the start of the Trumpeter MiG modifications based on the photos and measurements taken in Trenton.

I made a simple jig of acrylic and styrene where I can "stretch" the fuselage while keeping it aligned. I drilled little holes for the locating pins.

ZMXQU4V.jpg

I first added a 1mm strip at the back to correct the wing position relative to the fuselage. Then I cut the fuselage and moved the forward section forward 3.5mm.

DjxBkd8.jpg

The panel line marked with the red arrow is now at the correct distance from the rear of the fuselage. The position of the airbrake and auxilliary air intake are also correct now.

I made a horizontal cut so the cockpit is also correctly aligned relative to that panel line as measured from the photos.

The fuselage needs to be cut again where marked with a red pen to add another 3.5mm, so the distance between both aux. air intakes is corrected, again according to our measurements.

The lower front fuselage also curves up too much from that point. It should be straight and curve only in front the the front wheel well opening. More cutting to come, but I will add the fuselage plug before continuing.

xFQjkKm.jpg

Here are a few more photos from the MiG:

The shape of the nose is clearly visible here. The aux. air intake is slightly tilted as it is aligned with the front intake opening.

JoMzpRR.jpg

Note how the fuselage is bulged at the position of the cockpit. A detail missing completely from the Trump. kit.

BeTdCfx.jpg

Tail section. East German marking bleached by the sun...Makes a sad face!

jK1rF0W.jpg

This shot shows how sharp the strake is.

ryRp7Rt.jpg

I hope this helps if anyone is interested in improving the Trumpeter kit!

Bye for now!

Alain

Edited by Alain Gadbois