Undersize Trump. MiG-21 MF Fuselage?

Alain Gadbois

1 hour ago, DeanKB said:

I'd be staggered if the kit is that far out.

My money would be on the drawing being wrong - very wrong.

To me - and I don't model jets, so what would I know? - compared to a real MiG-21MF, the nose of the drawing just looks waaay too long.

I thought the same when I saw that drawing, it looked a little big in front. Looking at pictures, the trumpeter “looks” correct. I’m sure it’s off a little, but that drawing may be too.

Edited by 1to1scale
Edit: looking at pictures again, it does look like the trumpeter is a little more tapered on the bottom of the fuselage, but to me, I don’t know if fixing it would be worth it.

After all this, I guess I will need some actual measurements from a Mig-21.

This will clear up the uncertainty about the kit. I think the kit is short in the nose area, but it seems it is all proportional so it is not that obvious when looking at the kit.

I certainly never suspected this until my little investigation this week, and it is too early to make any final decision until original info is found. 

Thanks all!

Alain

What drawings are available, and which are considered the most accurate? as Jen said, the Eduard decal sheets are well respected(accurate) but what are they based on? My first impression given the series of complex shapes at the nose, is that some incremental changes may be best, as opposed to one larger modification.

The Eduard MiG-21MF drawings (kit marking guide) are indeed well respected and most likely the "least inaccurate" 2D renditions around to date.

I wish I had the time to dive back into our MiG-21 scan and photogrammetry data in order to draw up a set of vectorised 2D scale plans, but the MiG-23 had (and still has) a much higher priority. 

Just for the fun of it - WWP (blue outlines) versus Eduard:

7DPnT9F.jpg

tP781qK.jpg

Edited by Ivan Ivanovich

19 hours ago, Dave Williams said:

Back to the original question, I don’t think anyone has brought this up before, and therefore I don’t think anyone has even attempted a fix.

Probably because most don't see a problem that needs to be fixed, I certainly never did. Interesting discussion though.

3 hours ago, LSP_Mike said:

(...) As Jen said, the Eduard decal sheets are well respected(accurate) but what are they based on? (...)

Decent type documentation (manuals/handbooks, etc.), tons of photographs, stickers to mark fuselage reference points, good old tape measure and an actual airframe to take measurements from. It's fairly safe to assume that Eduard had "access all areas" while doing the R&D work.

Well, there is a MiG-21MF at the Evergreen Museum in McMinnville. It is only about an hour away from me, but not sure when I can get out there. The MiG is one you can get up close and personal with, too, so taking measurements would be pretty easy.

It sure looks to me like Eduard used the WWP drawings on their kit!

In the end, the fuselage will be 8mm longer, but it all has to be checked and planned to find and correct the errors without creating more in other places. The clear parts cannot be changed so this has to be considered also. A perfect length model that looks wrong is not something that I want of course!

Alain

5 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

In the end, the fuselage will be 8mm longer, but it all has to be checked and planned to find and correct the errors without creating more in other places. The clear parts cannot be changed so this has to be considered also. A perfect length model that looks wrong is not something that I want of course!

Alain

If indeed there is an error somewhere, be it dimensionally or proportionally, by all means have at it. I'm concerned (in my case), that a whole lot of work would take place, for a visually negligible improvement, but that's just me.