HpH Wyvern breaks through the clouds...

Kagemusha

9 hours ago, Alburymodeler said:

I think I might prefer the main parts as vac form than resin to be honest. Resin has lots of failings. i always fear opening up my many hundred dollared boxes of resin kits and hoping the bits remain straight.

Do not worry. I have at least eight of their kits and never saw such a problem. 

I don't understand how people do that.  I guess if I did I would be doing it too.  Really like the Wyvern shape and schemes.  But where's the time to add it to the list?  What would it replace?

Sincerely,

Mark

26 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

29096727596_77176ebbb5_b.jpg

29096728246_732f2c429c_b.jpg

Of course...images for discussion only...

Jeez stop it already...  Yer gonna make me want one.

Hey!  Any of you guys had success with foil to resin??

Gaz

Yep, that's the one Gaz! :)

On 9/16/2018 at 8:20 AM, GMK said:

I wish there was an example of the production Wyvern S.4 still existed. 

There is, unfortunately no one is ever going to see them. A number of years ago whilst studying for a degree in War Studies, I had the good fortune to both visit RNAS Yeovilton and be given access to the Archive. I was also lucky enough to allowed free gratis access to the  surviving Wyvern TF1 pictured above, which was in the workshops for maintenance. Whilst speaking to the senior archivist I mentioned my life long interest in the Wyvern and the lack of any colour images or surviving examples of the S4 variant. He told me of the existance of a colour images, which due to copyright issues, couldn’t appear in any of the ( limited) written sources on the Wyvern. He then went on to explain that he was a personal friend of the old archivist at Westland Aircraft, who informed him that when the Wyvern was being taken out of service and scrapped at RNAS Ford, rather than go to the expense of shipping the planes off site, they simple dug a hole, dropped the aircraft in and filled in the hole. 

Unfortunately, on decommissioning of RNAS Ford, the land was sold to the UK ministry responsible for prisons and the site is now Her Majesty’s Prison (HMP) Ford. The aforementioned ‘hole’ was tarmaced over and constitutes the car park at HMP Ford. Despite a request a number of years ago to conduct an exploratory dig to uncover the veracity of the story, HMP Service flately refused the request. Perhaps one day.....!

On 9/16/2018 at 12:45 PM, Out2gtcha said:

Short answer? Yes. It takes full priming of the model though, as temp changes and porous resin can lead to air bubbles if not primed.

That's the trick!  I had some success with foil on a Tamiya-primed resin Fisher kit.  Surface prep is the key and just as with an Alcad finish, all surface blemishes will telegraph quite well.  Because of the rivets, I did not do a vigorous sanding - even the faint images of resin mold release that remained in the resin telegraphed through, but in short a foil NMF on resin can be accomplished.  See ref. LSP article Fisher 1/32 Ryan PT-22 Recruit; https://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/article.php?aid=3197.  That will also link to the build thread.

17 minutes ago, Gene said:

................even the faint images of resin mold release that remained in the resin telegraphed through, but in short a foil NMF on resin can be accomplished. 

Ive had that same issue as well. I found that Black Magic Bleche Wite  is a great product that has removed all resin mold release agents Ive ever used it on. Great tip from a freind who at the time, was in the movie prop biz, and he had some serious mold release agents to deal with. 

I believe Fisher also recommends the Bleche White.  What I was referring to was a fine slightly pebbly surface where the mold release sprayed on the mold translated as a texture cast into the resin surface.  That texture remained even after a good scrub with detergent and bleach.  I other cases (not Fisher), the fidelity caught in the vinyl mold is so good that it picks up some pencil marks made on the master and translates all the way to the final cast resin part.  One coat of primer and that disappears, but it still amazes me that such a faint impression can carry forward!

Sorry, this is all astray of the great HpH news of a Wyvern in the works!

Edited by Gene
more info