Too shiny to be NMF?

Gazzas

OK, it looks like it's a posed shot, but nevertheless: young lady pilot of the (can't remember the US equivalent of the Air Transport Auxiliary, someone please remind me); nice clean and shiny-ish aircraft, I reckon that's fresh from the factory.  Undeniably shiny at that point in time, but how long will it last? :wicked:

:piliot:

34 minutes ago, MikeC said:

OK, it looks like it's a posed shot, but nevertheless: young lady pilot of the (can't remember the US equivalent of the Air Transport Auxiliary, someone please remind me); nice clean and shiny-ish aircraft, I reckon that's fresh from the factory.  Undeniably shiny at that point in time, but how long will it last? :wicked:

:piliot:

You could do an experiment.  Staple some alfoil to a board and leave it outside in your backyard since you are at the home of the Mighty Eighth.  You could expand the experiment by adding a second piece of foil and wiping it down with a rag and a little petrol once a week.  Add a third piece and wipe it down daily.

You could answer so many questions about USAAF aircraft and oxidation rates.  The modelling world (at least the part that paid attention) would be in your debt.

:popcorn:

Gaz

8 hours ago, Gazzas said:

You could do an experiment.  Staple some alfoil to a board and leave it outside in your backyard since you are at the home of the Mighty Eighth.  You could expand the experiment by adding a second piece of foil and wiping it down with a rag and a little petrol once a week.  Add a third piece and wipe it down daily.

You could answer so many questions about USAAF aircraft and oxidation rates.  The modelling world (at least the part that paid attention) would be in your debt.

:popcorn:

Gaz

Now there's a thought!

I'm more in bomber country here though: about 3 miles from Little Staughton (2nd Strategic Air Depot, later an RAF pathfinder airfield); a bit futher from Kimbolton and Molesworth. Can't move round here without tripping over an old airfield!  :piliot: