Airfix Harrier GR.3 in 1/24th scale

Piero

Hello,

as requested by some of you, here is the WIP of my big Harrier GR.3 in 1/24th scale.

The Airfix Harrier kit is old… almost like me…  with basic details compared to the big scale but good in size and shapes overall.

To detail the plastic parts I’ve used the Flightpath detail set (PE + resin +metal parts) and added some others parts from scratch.

Harrier_Flightpath set

A good documentation is always mandatory… the web is a great source… but I still like the old paper books too. Here is a selection of books.

gr3_23

Ok, let’s go to the building stage… starting from the exterior surface. The plastic parts are full of deep and big holes to represent rows of rivets. I don’t like it. So, I’ve used liquid plastic putty to fill the holes and a wet fine sand paper to smooth the surfaces.

gr3_10

gr3_11

Pass to the cockpit. The IP plastic part is not too bad… some details were added here and there to better represent the dials and switches. Decals were used too.

gr3_1

The cockpit tube and sidewalls are assembled and detailed with plasticard, tape and wires.

gr3_3

gr3_4

gr3_8

gr3_9

Same job was done to the front undercarriage bay.

gr3_6

The Martin Baker Mk.9 ejection seat is based on the bare plastic part… add details here is a must.

gr3_20

gr3_21

Other areas that required details are the small reaction valves and vents like these… fine metal mesh from spares is a good solution.

gr3_12

I didn’t want to detail the Pegasus engine because it would end up inside the fuselage and you would not see anything. So it’s time to close the fuselage with everything inside.

gr3_15

gr3_16

gr3_18

gr3_19

gr3_25

You can see many details were added all aorund the fulselage using plasticard. Also the row of PE vortex generators were added to on top of each wing.

gr3_17

gr3_24

The cover of the instrument panel is based on the plastic part of the kit with some details added on.

gr3_26

gr3_27

The windscreen was detailed with PE parts from the Flightpath detail set.

gr3_28

gr3_29

Moving on the external stores, first  I’ve scratchbuilded a CBLS to be attached under the belly pylon, based on the HE 1000lb kit's bomb and some plasticard and then painted in RAF Dark Green.

gr3_33

gr3_34

gr3_44

gr3_45

Next are the fuel tanks and the Matra SNEB rocket pods. First of all a layer of primer with black pre-shading, then a spray of RAF Dark Green. To finish the parts a shading and fading was added too.

gr3_37

gr3_42

gr3_46

gr3_47

Same for the pylons.

gr3_41

gr3_43

Tailplane and vertical fin with details from plasticard and Flightpath's PE.

gr3_39

gr3_40

gr3_38

Ok, everything is ready for the camouflage. Gunze's acrylic paints H331/H75 for RAF Dark Sea Grey and H330/H73 for Dark Green RAF. But first, a layer of Tamiya’s Zinc Chromate is applied all over.

gr3_50

gr3_53

When the paint is dried a black pre-shading was added along all the panel lines.

gr3_55

gr3_56

RAF Dark Sea Grey is almost done…

gr3_57

Fin flash and yellow combat number were painted too.

gr3_58

Then RAF Dark Green camouflage pattern was airbrushed.

gr3_59

gr3_60

I’ve painted the RAF roundels on my Harrier.

gr3_62

gr3_64

A good washing was applied along the panel lines using diluited Humbrel’s enamels.

gr3_68

A soft paper tissue was used to removed the excees of wash… here the result.

gr3_69

Apply decals required a big effort… as to obtain a good finish effect mixing clear paints, due the size of the model.

gr3_74

gr3_72

All five wheels touch the ground... but what a pain!!!

gr3_82

gr3_77

gr3_81

Working on the 4 vectoring nozzles...

gr3_75

gr3_86

Here the canopy with details added and ready for painting.

gr3_87

gr3_88

The big metal pitot tube was done by a friend of mine.

It took me a year to do this Harrier. I’m very happy with the final risult and I enjoyed it to build.

gr3_93

gr3_94

gr3_89

CIAO!

Piero

Edited by Piero

that is absolutely stunning achievement, to take that pig of a kit and turn it into diamond

just looking at the rivet work required to smooth every surface makes me scared

I hope you post a similar thread for one of the trumpeter Harriers

Thanks for sharing