Special Hobby Tempest V

Rick K

Landing light, MV Products (P/N 21), 3.5mm clear lens installed.  A dot of epoxy to secure.

LandingLight.01.jpg

LandingLight.02.jpg

The landing light cover needed much sanding and shaping to fit .  Mask applied.  Will glue cover after epoxy for lens has cured then paint and touch up the nick just above the ejector openings.  Not sure if I'll address the slight lift on the red paint on the roundel.

Edited by Rick K

Wow, that is some terrific work!

A word of caution though on the MV lenses.....

I've had great luck using their colored lenses but every single clear MV lens I've ever used (and I mean all of them) have turned yellow after a year or two. I'm hoping they have changed their clear formula, but even the older ones in my stock have yellowed.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Wow, that is some terrific work!

A word of caution though on the MV lenses.....

I've had great luck using their colored lenses but every single clear MV lens I've ever used (and I mean all of them) have turned yellow after a year or two. I'm hoping they have changed their clear formula, but even the older ones in my stock have yellowed.

Thanks for the kudos Brian.

I got a large assortment (dozens) of MV Lenses at an estate sale about 4 years ago.  I've had one turn yellow.  Had one for over a year then installed on one of my builds, the Pearl Harbor P40B, about 2 years ago.  It started yellowing this spring.   The rest are still clear, so far.  AK makes lenses, sizes are limited though.

13 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

It looks very good Rick!   Keep it going!

Is there a bit of yellow overspray on the white ring of the roundel?  Just don't want it to get in the way later on.

Matt 

Thank Matt.

Yes, good eye.  One of the many warts on this build.  Hopefully weathering and dirty wash will conceal.   Your PCM Tempest Mk.V is my inspiration. :)

9 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Niceness  :popcorn:

Thanks Mike!

9 hours ago, Rick K said:

Thank Matt.

Yes, good eye.  One of the many warts on this build.  Hopefully weathering and dirty wash will conceal.   Your PCM Tempest Mk.V is my inspiration. :)

Weathering solves all things.  Glad you liked my old Tempest build.  I'm really enjoying your build here.  Much better than mine was back then.

Matt 

On 8/26/2019 at 12:15 PM, Padubon said:

This is a nice looking model. Pretty awesome job.

Thanks Padubon!

16 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

Weathering solves all things.  Glad you liked my old Tempest build.  I'm really enjoying your build here.  Much better than mine was back then.

Matt 

Weathering can hide some warts.  My skill sets on weathering are minimal.  One of these days I'm gonna break out my oils and all the PLW and Filters and have at it.

I suppose, for now, my weathering prime directive will be "less is more".

Adding brake lines and I've decided to try ANYZ products Line Connectors AN016 and Braided Line .5mm AN011 Black.  ANYZ product is exceptional casting.  I also have the Spark Plug set which must be seen to believe.

BrakeLines.04.jpg

Various size copper wire .3mm and .35mm used.  I threaded the wire through the Braided Line so the Braided Line will hold shape.  My micro drills .3mm and .35mm I drilled out the ends of connectors, yes it's a painstaking event. 

BrakeLines.02.jpg

BrakeLines.03.jpg

Using epoxy to secure the wire to Line Connector I'll pull the Braided Line back then paint the Line Connectors.

I have a good feeling about this.  May try same approach with ignition lines. 

Edited by Rick K

10 hours ago, Gazzas said:

Rick,

Looking pretty awesome!  Outstanding painting and masking!  You must tell me about that stand.

Gaz

Thanks Gaz. 

The stands are Flight Pose www.flightpose.com

Get all 3 sizes.