Special Hobby Tempest V

Rick K

All national markings, ID bands will be painted.  Using Maketar masks the 4 color roundel application begin.

Roundel_Mask.01.jpg

A base of MRP135 Insignia White is applied for roundels, fin flash and ID bands.  I'm applying markings using this method as I want to keep paint build up to minimum.

Roundel_Mask.02.jpg

MRP122 RAF Marking Yellow is applied.  This late war aircraft, flown by New Zealand ace Evan Mackie, will have C1 roundels in all 6 positions. 

Roundel_Mask.03.jpg

After yellow cures masks are carefully positioned.

Roundel_Mask.04.jpg

MRP183 Oxford Blue is applied.  I spend much time deliberating on the correct "blue" for late war RAF a/c.  I took the FICE approach and I'm pleased with my decision.

Roundel_Mask.05.jpg

The blue has cured and more masks carefully placed.  I applied liquid mask on all tape seams to insure no bleeding.

Roundel_Mask.07.jpg

MRP123 RAF Marking Red completes the national insignias.  Masks removed.  No bleeds, no lifting.  Win, win.

Roundel_Mask.08.jpg

Roundel_Mask.10.jpg

The DSPIAE cutter is nothing short of pure precision.  The learning curve on this instrument is very short.  Once I learned the razor adjustment I've have zero issues.

I am cutting roundel blanks out of mylar to protect the national markings during the camouflage painting.  Careful measure and a test cut, it's good.  The locator is a must as this component will allow you to make cuts with very little waste of masking material.

Roundel_Mask.11.jpg

Precision cuts with very little waste the the locator tool.

Roundel_Mask.12.jpg

Blank masks cover the roundels and fin flash.  Then black primer lightly covers the white over spray.  MRP118 RAF Sky used fuselage ID band.  MRP122 RAF Marking Yellow applied to leading edge of wings.  While I'm at it I gave the prop tips some yellow love. 

WingWalk.05.jpg

After ID bands are masked the wing walk is painted using MRP255 Night Camouflage. 

WingWalk.02.jpg

To determine the proper curve at wing root I placed aluminum foil at the wing walk area and gently burnished.  The precise line at wing root is revealed.

WingWalk.01.jpg

After careful measuring and using a French Curve I cut the masks out of mylar.

WingWalk.06.jpg

Mylar masks for wing walk applied.

On 8/11/2019 at 3:05 AM, Lothar said:

Outstanding build so far, the finished model will be a stunner for sure!!

Lothar

I have long ways to go on this.  Thanks for the kudos.

5 hours ago, Vincent said:

Quite impressive work on the gunsight !

Cheers Vincent.

On 8/10/2019 at 6:43 PM, LSP_Kevin said:

Outstanding work, Rick!

Kev

Cheers Kev.

On 8/10/2019 at 8:44 PM, Troy Molitor said:

Excellent updates Rick.  I really am enjoying this build.  The gunsight came out fantastic.  

Troy 

Thanks Troy.  I was cross-eyed for a few days.

7 hours ago, Troy Molitor said:

Your bench is way to clean Rick. :rolleyes:  The updates are awesome, however.  

Oh, I just cleared a hole in the mmiddle of my bench.  Thanks Troy.

6 hours ago, Alain Gadbois said:

Great work and excellent result with the masking! I was surprised you did the roundels before painting the airframe, but it should make them very flush with the adjoining camouflage paint.

Alain

Thanks Alain - That is the plan.  Stay tuned.

5 hours ago, R Palimaka said:

Superb work on that kit! What a beautiful aircraft, and you're doing a splendid job.

Thanks also for the comparison photos of the kit nose/Barracuda nose. They make the difference in accuracy very clear and visible.

Richard

PS: I hate masking too!!

Cheers Richard.

Masking and sales reports are very closely matched on my Loathe Meter.

"A thing divine, for nothing natural
I ever saw so noble." (Miranda, Act I, Scene 2, guess which Shakespeare play)

There is some brilliant work here, really looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

10 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Excellent masking and painting, Rick!

Kev

Cheers Kev

7 hours ago, MikeC said:
"A thing divine, for nothing natural
I ever saw so noble." (Miranda, Act I, Scene 2, guess which Shakespeare play)

There is some brilliant work here, really looking forward to seeing the finished article. 

Lovely play on words.