Special Hobby Tempest V

Rick K

Wheel well assembly was nothing short of a nightmare.   In lieu of assembling the well framing on lower wing part B1 I opted to assemble on upper wing parts B2 and B3 as the detail on these parts must match the 6 part wall.   A total of 13 parts for each wheel well...what could possibly go wrong?   Much did go wrong.

Before gluing I pre-drilled selected parts to accept plumbing (lead wire) installation.

Wiring.Pit.01.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.04.jpg

Recommend while glue is curing is to test fit (B2 to B1 and B3 to B1) for basic alignment.  There will be sanding later.

Wiring.Pit.03.jpg

Part s H41 and H42 are door retracting arm and from beginning I knew this would be problematic during the build and eventually break.

I removed the "hydraulic" rod and drilled a .4mm hole.  Then I glued parts H41 and H42.  The rod will be replaced with either .4mm styrene or aluminum rod.

Photo shows styrene rod test fitted.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.03.jpg

Once glue is fully cured I placed cockpit tub in fuselage and began removing offensive parts of the wheel well as the cockpit tub interferes with fit of wing to fuselage assembly.  Parts J13 and J14 will need much attention with sanding stick for correct fit.

Now that's over with time add some plumbing.

Edited by Rick K

GOOD NEWS - Wiring completed

BAD NEWS - All construction pics were lost, my bad

WheelWellWired.02.jpg

Primed and painted MRP 111 Interior Grey-Green.  You can see the plumbing added.  Also note parts H41 and H42 in place with pre-drilled hole for the .4mm rod.

WheelWellWired.01.jpg

More wheel well detail.

Edited by Rick K

Cockpit tub got plenty of wiring love.  You'll have to look close to see the plumbing.  Just enough to be visible from open cockpit.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.05.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.08.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.06.jpg

With IP in view you will notice the Yahu panel is only used on center.  The port and starboard panels are kit offering painted up with decals.  The Yahu port and starboard.panels did not fit.

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.07.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.09.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.10.jpg

Wiring.WheelWell.Pit.11.jpg

4 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

That’s a great cockpit, thenks for the heads up on the Yahu panel. and the wheel well assembly. I shall store these for future reference when I start mine.

John

Thanks John.  The wheel well was one of many difficult parts of the build.  Clearly a lesson in patience and preservation.  This almost got tossed in the bin several times.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Lovely work! Yes, I too would have been disappointed to find the Yahu panel (s) did not fit properly. 

Cheers Brian.  With all the cockpit build and fit issues this was truly unexpected.  This has now raised a red flag with all my Yahu IP panels.

great work as always Rick, and thoughtfully presented too

I love the looks of the Tempest but what with the dodgy nose / chin and being a bit of beast to build, I'm filing it it in 'life's too short' pile for the time being (someone who is still battling his Revell Spitfire after many months!)

still, builds like this are what will probably drag me back in!

thanks again for sharing

Nick

Looks jolly good so far.  

I have seen some builds where a decent amount of the lower part of the cockpit framework had to be removed so that it would fit so hopefully that won’t apply to you.  Interestingly some build articles reported no such issues at all so it’s something of a puzzle.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 2:52 PM, dodgem37 said:

Do It, Bro!  Looks great.

Sincerely,

Mark

Thank you my friend.  Hope all is well.  Has your EM37 returned to MD?

On 7/26/2019 at 4:13 AM, nmayhew said:

great work as always Rick, and thoughtfully presented too

I love the looks of the Tempest but what with the dodgy nose / chin and being a bit of beast to build, I'm filing it it in 'life's too short' pile for the time being (someone who is still battling his Revell Spitfire after many months!)

still, builds like this are what will probably drag me back in!

thanks again for sharing

Nick

Thanks Nick.  Always happy to stir the pot with your modeling timeline my dear friend.

On 7/26/2019 at 4:24 PM, Wegener said:

Looks jolly good so far.  

I have seen some builds where a decent amount of the lower part of the cockpit framework had to be removed so that it would fit so hopefully that won’t apply to you.  Interestingly some build articles reported no such issues at all so it’s something of a puzzle.

Thank you Wegener.

Yes, lots of sanding/fit adjustment to make things fit.  I worked the wheel well over with sanding stick especially on parts J13 and J14.  Give plenty of glue cure time 48 hours before you have at it with sanding stick.

On 7/27/2019 at 4:56 AM, Gazzas said:

Pit looks exceptional!

Cheers Gazzas!