do you keep all of your finished models?

Vynce804

I cannot imagine tossing my work into the trash.   At one point I will have to give a few up, maybe a local ROTC program or try selling as "man cave" art on Craig's List.  I still have a ratty looking early Revell Phantom in the display case.  It's a reminder of how really bad my work was at one time. 

28 minutes ago, ScottsGT said:

I cannot imagine tossing my work into the trash.   At one point I will have to give a few up, maybe a local ROTC program or try selling as "man cave" art on Craig's List.  I still have a ratty looking early Revell Phantom in the display case.  It's a reminder of how really bad my work was at one time. 

There is a point where trash is a good solution.  I pitched only the bottom of the barrel models that I had.  We have a family friend who’s son has become very interested in Cars so I gave a number of car models to him.  I trashed I think 4 to 6 kits last year.  These were really old builds from as much as 30 years ago or more, I had several left from when I was about 18 or 19.  

I have got most of mine from about 1995 to now gave away a few in a move that year for the young kids to destroy.I built this ManCave after Katrina one side office 7'X16' and the wood work area is 21'X16'.

q1iNM.jpg#.W5qMDJwsCjg.link

q1kzp.jpg#.W5qM_IVjOZ8.link

Guess I should show some of the bigger scales :)

q8Lbl.jpg#.W5qN8BiP0xY.link

q8ZCO.jpg#.W5qOfStGTzE.link

Edited by Javlin1

Nope, although the wife has taken a shine to German WW1 subjects, especially single seaters. The colours, apparently, are reason to keep them on shelves.

Rest I usually gift. Very old kits get bined, as better models replace them.  Some are in the attic, for purely sentimental reasons. Too rubbish to display.

10 hours ago, Shawn M said:

instead of trashing old builds, I re-kit them for the spares bin...especially if there are any scratch built items I can re-use

I would but I have two 1/24 scale boxes just crammed full of extra new parts over the years and another two boxes  1/32 full of decals/instructions  of just about every kit I have ever  built.It took me 2 1/2 years to build that shop with my own two hands me supplying 85% of the labor it's not perfect but it has seen a couple of TS and one Hurricane thus far and holding. ;)

11 hours ago, Shawn M said:

instead of trashing old builds, I re-kit them for the spares bin...especially if there are any scratch built items I can re-use

Yes indeed, but I usually find there's very little I actually want to salvage: a bang-seat, an instrument panel, anything I think could be genuinely re-usable, not just "hang on to it just in case".

On 9/11/2018 at 10:16 PM, LSP_Ron said:

How does one sell a completed kit and ship it?

On 9/11/2018 at 10:48 PM, CATCplSlade said:

Very carefully.

After starting my side commission business, and having a few damaged in transport, I came up with THIS. There is also a tut on LSP about how to build it.

It's a bit more complex to build than your average/normal shipping container for models, but I'm batting 1000 on shipping completed LSPs all over the country.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

After starting my side commission business, and having a few damaged in transport, I came up with THIS. There is also a tut on LSP about how to build it.

It's a bit more complex to build than your average/normal shipping container for models, but I'm batting 1000 on shipping completed LSPs all over the country.

That is definitely more elaborate than anything I have done, but so far I have only shipped armor builds I did for people. Certainly worth bookmarking.

2 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

That is definitely more elaborate than anything I have done, but so far I have only shipped armor builds I did for people. Certainly worth bookmarking.

Not really as difficult or complex as it might look. Really just some foam board, small dowels, some hot glue and and a razor saw.  PLUS, the cool thing is, because it breaks down easy, and is self contained/self supporting even removed from the box, you can re-used it over and over for transport to shows or storage. Plus, since it does break down, you can take any sealing tape off the box, fold that up, then just remove the foam boards, separate them and it all stores quite flat.