Is there a site giving 2nd hand value for kits?

Southern Bandit

Streamlining time again, going to be putting some kits up FS on Ebay this afternoon, perhaps the best way to gauge their value is to watch other example already on sale there?

I did for one I have going, its a WnW OOP Hannover C1.II, cant remember what I paid for it? but one went the other day for £255!

Was just wondering if there was another way to get an estimate on their value? mine are all mint still in bags un-started ETC, as new really.

The best way to gauge value of model kits on ebay is to run an advanced search on the kit you are selling and look at sold listings.  then you can see the recent highs lows and kind of figure what it is really worth.  There will still be outliers on both ends because there is always someone that buys too high and there is always someone that lists a buy it now or otherwise gets a low price.  Generally though when I want to know what something is worth I look at the advanced search.  

No problem, I am a big fan of using the advanced search feature, you really should always use it before buying on ebay.  I bought a greenworks leaf blower and forgot to check advanced this week, I could have saved another $20.00 on my purchase if I had checked sales history.  I over bid by a few bucks on an auction.  Still happy with my purchase in that case but you should always check advanced search.

Every couple of months, I get a detailed list from Dean's Hobby Stop in Michigan. He deals predominantly in OOP kits; I've used his list to get a ballpark price on kits I've put up for sale.  There are often times, though, that what I'm looking to price isn't on his flyer. Sold listings on ebay is where I go next.

Search on eBay for your kit, then click on the "Sold items" button on the left, not completed. This tells you what and when things have actually sold for. Remember that you might be better keeping a kit for a while, especially if a market is flooded. A good example is the Dragon sale a few months ago, people were buying 1/32 BF 110's for less than $30 USD shipped, but now, they have gone back up in value a bit, selling three months ago would have only gotten the same.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It's like anything else:  a kit is worth exactly as much as someone is willing to pay for it on a given day.  Watching eBay for a while will prove that.  It may be "worth" $500 today, but $50 tomorrow.  There's no rhyme or reason to it.  It's just human nature.  There is no magic book that tells what kits are worth.  Any such list is just someone's opinion.

Presaxctly. 

Just depends if somebody really wants what you're selling, if the happen to see your ad, and if they can't be bothered to research it properly.

3 hours ago, 1to1scale said:

Search on eBay for your kit, then click on the "Sold items" button on the left, not completed. This tells you what and when things have actually sold for. Remember that you might be better keeping a kit for a while, especially if a market is flooded. A good example is the Dragon sale a few months ago, people were buying 1/32 BF 110's for less than $30 USD shipped, but now, they have gone back up in value a bit, selling three months ago would have only gotten the same.

This.

Search for what kits actually sold for. Still not absolutely right, but gives a good range.

Don't forget, if the wife asks, half the value, then half it again.

The "avoid divorce" adjustment factor.

3 hours ago, Jennings Heilig said:

It's like anything else:  a kit is worth exactly as much as someone is willing to pay for it on a given day.  Watching eBay for a while will prove that.  It may be "worth" $500 today, but $50 tomorrow.  There's no rhyme or reason to it.  It's just human nature.  There is no magic book that tells what kits are worth.  Any such list is just someone's opinion.

Yes, and what you really need on eBay is to find at least two people on eBay who want your kit. Then it becomes a question of how bad one of those people want it! It never goes well if only one person wants it, unless you just put it up as a buy-it-now purchase at a set price, but that is no fun.

5 hours ago, cbk57 said:

The best way to gauge value of model kits on ebay is to run an advanced search on the kit you are selling and look at sold listings.  then you can see the recent highs lows and kind of figure what it is really worth.  There will still be outliers on both ends because there is always someone that buys too high and there is always someone that lists a buy it now or otherwise gets a low price.  Generally though when I want to know what something is worth I look at the advanced search.  

This is the answer and the right way to do it.