1/32 F-16B

Bruce

box%20cover.jpg

Here is what I'm starting with.  I cut out the area for the second seat years ago and stopped because I wasn't sure about how the cockpits should go.

Gen%20Scottt%20%20ac%20%20310th_tfts_f_1

this is what I want to end up with, a B model from Luke circa '80s.

I finished cutting the second seat area and building the back area using the Academy kit as a guide since I'm going to use the clear canopy from their D model kit.  I used the leftover piece from my SUFA and the instrument shrouds from two True Details F-16A resin sets.

fuselages.jpg

The nose wheel well is the AIRES part, modified to fit, leftover from my F-16F build since I used a Zotz intake that had the wheel well.  I used the kit intake tunnel and cleaned up the seam.  With some careful sanding I was able to slide the nose well in whe I inserted the intake.  The main gear well is the kit piece with some leftover SUFA parts added and I'll add some wiring and hydraulic lines.

Here are the early stages of the cockpits.  They are 2 True Detail resin sets.  I've modified the rear tub by cutting it down, making a new rear wall,  and modifying the instrument panel to an early B model configuration.

cockpit%20tubs.jpg

more to follow

• 1 month later...

Nice job so far! I had wanted to do the same thing with 2 of the same kits. I bought a 2 seat "B" canopy seems like 40 years ago from a shop in Texas. It's vacuformed but about as thick as the real canopy and I was terrified to try and cut it. I carried it around for probably 4 PCS moves and open the box and see that canopy and close it back up! I now have 2 of the SUFA kits and one of them will be a "D" model. Good luck with yours and I will watch your progress!

Cheers...Ron

• 1 month later...

I'm back.  I've been trying to figure out what I wanted to do about the exhaust  area.  I wasn't happy with the kit exhaust and I couldn't find any aftermarket exhaust replacements made for the Hasegawa kit for the early PW F100 engines. (of course someone will probably tell me about some after this post).  I did some test fitting with some other kits and decided that the tail area of the Tamiya kit was clse enough that with a little sanding to contour the part in, a set made for the Tamiya kit would work.  I ordered the KASL Hobby set and am very pleased.  I've started painting them and with a little squeezing and some super glue I attached them and sanded the seam.  I can now continue with the rest of the build.

IMG_2810tailcones.jpg

IMG_2810tailcones2.jpg