Tamiya P-51 Canopies

mhorina

There are 3 canopies in the Tamiya P-51 Mustang 1st and Late War releases identified as M ,N,and P.  M appears to be for the initial Mustang D production , and the P  appears to be for the Dallas production .  When would you use the Tamiya N style canopy for?  If it is a true change what production block or date would that style canopy have come into used?    TIA

Mike Horina         

Thanks Mike, The Tamiya instructions for the Pacific Theater release used the M canopy, which was used for the -5 filletless option in the original release.

And then uses that for 2 options in the Pacific Theater and doesn't use the P canopy option at all in the PT release. Whereas in the first release it uses all 3 canopies that are in the box.

Using the M canopy for the filletless option does that indicate it should not be used in the second release as all 3 options have the fillet tail. Thanks for answering 

Mike Horina

Thanks D, and Jennings

As far as the Tamiya's call,  the canopies I would say to use for any models you do with out the fillet.  for those with the fillet and use P for models like Mrs Bonnie the poster plane  on the Tamiya P-51D/K release. Thanks for the link D,  made it very clear as to which Tamiya canopy to use for one's model. 

Mike

Edited by mhorina

• 2 years later...
On 9/8/2018 at 1:26 AM, MikeMaben said:

The flat sided canopy was for the early (-5 filletless tail) .

The other 2 were for the Texas and California built a/c.

nRtmhND.jpg

both types could be used as replacements in the field.

Hello! I am new to this website..  Are you able to provide a larger file of the same image?  Thank you, Giovanni  - Italy

I have built two Tamiya Mustangs and I have a a hard time telling which is which or remembering to pay attention to which one I am supposed to use on a given project.  I will not certify that I used the “correct one” on any build i have done.

The Sherman Tank and Tiger Tank have modeling books that explain every detail in every production varriant, not the Mustang, you have to dig through the web and find experts who know this stuff.   It is only one of the most important and iconic machines in WWII.  You would think it would merit a stem to stern book covering every detail.  In addition there have been some superb restorations of the Mustang, so all that knowledge is out there but vested only in the experts and not fully shared.  

30 minutes ago, cbk57 said:

The Sherman Tank and Tiger Tank have modeling books that explain every detail in every production varriant, not the Mustang, you have to dig through the web and find experts who know this stuff.   It is only one of the most important and iconic machines in WWII.  You would think it would merit a stem to stern book covering every detail.  In addition there have been some superb restorations of the Mustang, so all that knowledge is out there but vested only in the experts and not fully shared.  

Very true and also applies to many other platforms such as the B-17.  Tons of material out there but not consolidated into a single volume or series that includes as much information as is currently scattered about in so many brains.