1:32 scale Hansa Brandenburg W.29

sandbagger

Hi all,
I thought you might like to see the start of my next Wingnut Wings model - the Hansa-Brandenburg W.29 (CM3G version), No.2512 flown by Oberleutnant Friedrich Christian Christiansen of ’Seeflugstation 1’, from Zeebrugge in Belgium during July 1918.

So far I've completed the cockpit, which is now enclosed in the fuselage.
I'm currently modifying the Benz III engine supplied in the kit, which although good, either lacks detail or what detail is pre-molded needs to be changed.

The W.29 was a two seat float plane and as such is much larger than most of the single seaters I've built thus far.
I'm hoping to have this model on a water effects base - we'll see.

Mike

pitdone1.jpg 

pitdone2.jpg 

pitdone3.jpg 

pitdone4.jpg 

engmod7.jpg 

engmod8.jpg 

Thanks for your comments.

I've moved on with the engine mods now, to the point where I'm into final painting.

I've now added:

Coolant pipe from the engine driven water pump to the cylinder manifold.

Speed controller levers, control rods and return spring.

Crankcase vent plates.

Once I've completed adding the ignition leads, fuel filter pipes, cylinder priming valves and the painting, I'll post some shots,

Mike

coolantpipe.jpg

engmod10.jpg 

ventmesh.jpg  

Edited by sandbagger

Hi all,
I've completed painting of the floats and their support struts.
I want to try to represent the acid free tar that was general applied later in WW1.
After priming I airbrushed Tamiya Deck Tan followed by Burnt Umber oil.  Then a couple of light coats of hair spray (don't seem able to get chipping fluids to lay down properly) and a top coat of Tamiya Rubber Black with a few drops of Hull Red added.
Slight chipping then a sealing coat of semi-matt.
I didn't want it to look 'too' chipped, so what I have done is hopefully more like a 'worn through' look

woodfloats.jpg

floatsdone.jpg

Hi all,

Thanks.
I didn't like the solid molded engine exhaust pipes, so rather than drilling them out, I made them from 1.6 mm diameter micro-tube.
Inside each is a 1.4 mm tube and inside that tube is a 1.0 mm rod, which is the location 'peg' that fits into a 1.0 mm diameter hole, drilled into the exhaust pipe recess in the cylinder head.
The pipes have yet to be painted of course.

Mike

exhaustpipes2.jpg