Italeri TF-104G

SimonCornes

I recently picked up one of these kits and fancy the USAF markings, although I know that this aircraft was used to train non-USAF pilots who were going to fly the 'G' model. I was wondering what the options are for producing a genuine USAF jet? I assume we're talking a 'D' ? I further assume it would have C2 ejection seats? Maybe needing a jet pipe for a 'C'. Then what about markings? Maybe this has all been covered off before but I am not aware so please forgive me if it has!!

Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated,

Thank you

Don't think I've seen any aftermarket sheets for the USAF TF-104. I Know Victory Productions did two sheets with USAF birds, all were single seaters. You would have to pick a USAF bird, use these sheets as a basis for a twin seater

Don

I'm planning an in-flight TF-104 model from the AF testing center and have hunted all over for it or some TF-104 JASDF decals and have some up with zilch. The JASDF decals would require some Japanese stencils, but the AF testing center scheme I think I will have to get one for the single seater from Victory.

Brian

Is it worth looking at the Hasegawa sheet for their JASDF F-104? The Victory sheet is quite expensive and not available from Hannants and relies heavily on the kit stencils if the stencils supplied are anything to go by. Ideally Microscale should do a bespoke  set!

Cheers

Simon

I don't know what's wrong with the really quite colourful Bicentennial livery fom Luke AFB. USAF markings, flown by German and American pilots. 

(Quite like the F-4F in Norm 72 splinter camouflage and USAF 35th TFW markings from George AFB too.)

Tony

Not sure what seats were used or J-57 was used,  i'm pretty certain the aftermarket has you covered. AMS or Aires should have what you need. The late JASDF sheet from Hasegawa is a bit of a struggle to find, worth it for the stencils.

Don

6 minutes ago, Tony T said:

I don't know what's wrong with the really quite colourful Bicentennial livery fom Luke AFB. USAF markings, flown by German and American pilots. 

(Quite like the F-4F in Norm 72 splinter camouflage and USAF 35th TFW markings from George AFB too.)

Tony

Yup!! That is a colorful scheme!! I thought the Navy had all the colorful Bicentennial schemes!!

Don

I agree, the USAF box scheme will be my default if nothing else comes up but I'm surprised that there aren't at least a couple of sheets of USAF aircraft out by now. As with the A and C models, there were some very colourful squadron markings.

12 hours ago, Tony T said:

Tony

12 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Yup!! That is a colorful scheme!! I thought the Navy had all the colorful Bicentennial schemes!!

Don

5 hours ago, SimonCornes said:

I agree, the USAF box scheme will be my default if nothing else comes up but I'm surprised that there aren't at least a couple of sheets of USAF aircraft out by now. As with the A and C models, there were some very colourful squadron markings.

Absolutely nothing is wrong with that scheme!  Its beautiful......................only issue I have is it is OOB with very few others AM options, so being that it is a very purty scheme, likely will see quite a number of them being built once the TF kit gets rolling.  

I was just thinking of doing something a bit different, its just that the options at this point are limited.   Im still hoping Jennings will bring us some JASDF stencils/squadron markings at some point! 

The TF kit is barely out, so I’m not really surprised there aren’t any sheets out yet, and in many cases they used the same markings/schemes as the single seaters, so I’m not sure how popular TF specific sheets will be, unless it’s some special scheme.  

For USAF TFs, you’d need to do some modifications.  I think for the D, you’d need at least the dished A/C wheels, and in addition for the B, you’d need different canopies.  Decal companies aren’t always keen on making sheets for versions that people have to convert on their own.  Also, I don’t think USAF TFs are as popular as the single seaters, which were already covered by the VP sheet for the NMF schemes and Carcal for the SEA options.

23 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

The TF kit is barely out, so I’m not really surprised there aren’t any sheets out yet, and in many cases they used the same markings/schemes as the single seaters, so I’m not sure how popular TF specific sheets will be, unless it’s some special scheme.  

For USAF TFs, you’d need to do some modifications.  I think for the D, you’d need at least the dished A/C wheels, and in addition for the B, you’d need different canopies.  Decal companies aren’t always keen on making sheets for versions that people have to convert on their own.  Also, I don’t think USAF TFs are as popular as the single seaters, which were already covered by the VP sheet for the NMF schemes and Carcal for the SEA options.

Yep,

Im thinking if I go with a  USAF Testing center TF D, I will have to get the Victory sheet for the single seater, then use some paint masks for the codes. The wheels for my particular USAF TF shouldn't be an issue as mine will be an in flight model.

Are there any interesting TF-104G schemes?  Most of the “special” schemes on 104s seem to be seem on the single seaters.  The family models are usually just standard markings and camo.

Just got the kit.  It’s pretty much as expected.  It looks like the two seater forward fuselage is a mold insert, so the panel lines on the spine and fuselage from the intakes back are the same as in the previous kits.  For the Luftwaffe option, Italeri provides PE cover plates for the radarscope panels in both IPs and the special weapons panel for the rear IP, which is correct since the option is actually a F-104F.  Speaking of IPs, like the front IP, the rear IP instrument faces are blank, but Italeri only provides instrument face decals for the front IP.  Come on, Italeri, how hard is it to give us a rear IP decal?  I guess it’s piece together Airscale instrument faces, or hope Eduard comes out with a set like they did for single seaters.

On the plus side, we finally get some sidewall detail, for both cockpits no less.

Edited by Dave Williams