AMC Dh.9 WNW

scvrobeson

4 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

Fantastic work on the engine, and educational too; a Siddeley engine, to my shame I only knew of them when they combined with Hawker.

Agreed on the engine build and finishing. I haven't got too many DH9 refs (the pug-ugly DH9A seems to have way more available) so this build will help a great deal with my own WNW kit.

Regarding the Siddeley company, there's a practical who's who of British engineering in their DNA from Armstrong/Armstrong-Whitworth (British Standard Whitworth still being a current engineering standard)/ Vickers-Armstrong/ Avro/ Hawker-Siddeley etc. etc.

Much more here.

Thanks so much for the nice words guys.  I'm glad you like the engine.  I'm not sure what's changed, I'm just getting a better feel for weathering this stuff now.  I'm using the same products and everything, it just feels more intuitive. Guess I'm learning how to be a real modeler.

Still not sure about the exhaust yet. That'll probably get more tweaking as I go along.

Now to finish assembling the interior framework, and then trying to seal up the fuselage.  Then it'll be on to painting, since I'll need the fuselage separate to do the complicated paint scheme

Matt 

I've gotten more work done on the fuselage. The interior framework is now done and ready to be encased in the fuselage. I can already tell it will be a very precise challenge, especially with the PE rudder linkage having to slot through the sides of the fuselage.

But the rigging is done, the seats are installed, the camera is in, the engine bearers and bulkheads are in, so it's time.

TgnwoA1.jpg

0VtDnB5.jpg

This is actually Tamiya Ocean Grey on the metal portion, then Vallejo BlueGrey on the fabric fuel tank at the top. They're different colors in real life, I swear

sQsRj7o.jpg

Roy Sutherland's beautiful resin wicker seat, just like the Dolphin. Painted, and given just an easy wash to highlight the detail

HANoGy7.jpg

Oil tank and engine bearers looking smart

F6qTSdi.jpg
Instrument panel in place and wired, although it looks like the wires will be invisible once it's installed. Eh, not too big of a deal

UV58flv.jpg

HGW seatbelts as usual. They're just so much better looking than PE for this stuff

U2lJWdT.jpg

Next post will have the fuselage closed up and cleaned up, then we're on to the painting stages. I think. Probably.  We'll see if any disasters occur

Matt 

Took things in a different direction, and decided to paint the wings first and get those done.  Started off masking the ribs and spars, and hitting them with a mix of Tamiya XF-52 and XF-68.  Then Mr. Color 44 Tan over the top, which is more accurate for Irish Linen.  Then fading with Mr. Color 69 Off White, then one last blend coat with 44 Tan.

R9tkXtk.jpg

PzGu4pn.jpg

5X2cxV4.jpg

pYiJ9dl.jpg

Let me know what you guys think about it!

Matt