AMC Dh.9 WNW

scvrobeson

Hey guys,

I know it's been awhile since I've done a build log on here, been mostly concentrating on small-scale stuff, and didn't have a photo set-up for my Dolphin build.   But I'm back, and ready to go

After the Dolphin, I was really in WW1 mode, so decided to grab my Dh.9 next to build.  This plane has always interested me, especially being the first plane built with an internal bomb bay.  It's a WNW kit, so we all know that means it's fantastic.  Only thing I'm going to add is HGW seat belts, and some engine wiring.

Started out the interior sidewalls first by test-fitting the framework and then pre-shading with Gunze 339 Engine Gray to give a bit of depth and shadow to the sides.  Then lightly coated with Gunze 19 and wood-grained with Burnt Umber oil paints like always.  The canvas section is an HGW decal, too bad it's mostly hidden in the back of the plane.

Instrument panel is kit decals, with Bondic clear resin over the top to do the glass.  Needed a little tiny brush to do the bezels and lights, but it looks pretty good.  Let me know what you guys think about it

dqwHEfK.jpg

rjG9FVn.jpg

gc6pUIk.jpg

hWOANDD.jpg

Matt

18 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Very cool Matt. Any WnW kit is a good WnW kit! 

+1 to that. 

Great start. I am pushing hard to finish my horten for a contest but next build will definitely be my true calling, ww1. 

Looking forward to your progress

Karim

Thanks so much guys!  I'm plugging away on this one, I'll try to get more pictures taken over the weekend. Putting the finishing touches on the engine tonight, then some final weathering before it gets mounted in the frame

Karim, can't wait to see your Horten come together

Matt

15 hours ago, KiwiZac said:

I'm more of a DH.4 man personally, so I still have lots to learn about the DH.9, but what's the story with the muslin/sacking fuselage section?

Looks like the front of the fuselage is wood for crew protection, and the back end was fabric for lightness, I'm guessing.  Not 100% past that. The square I did is the only part that's even relatively visible on the finished model.  The rest is buried deep behind the rear gunner's position

Matt 

Hey everyone, 

I promised updates, and I've got one. I've spent time working on the engine, and I believe it's all done and ready to be mounted in the frame.  WnW as always provides a great base for the Siddeley Puma, just takes a careful hand to bring it to life.  Base painted the whole thing with Gunze Super Iron, which was then lightly polished.  After that, all the various parts were picked out in copper, brass, various shades of black, and bakelite for the distributor tubes.  Then weathering, weathering, and more weathering. The Puma was not a clean running engine, so it needed a lot of grime and dirt.

Most of the weathering was various oil washes and filters, but I also used the airbrush to dust on some highly thinned dark brown to grime it up.

wOCRRuy.jpg

vG6rBb6.jpg

1c3dV15.jpg

upJQDQt.jpg

rnVQ0aQ.jpg

9z3OD4S.jpg

hPJNZNY.jpg

The exhaust was drilled out because WnW gave it to you solid.  Then it was basecoated in Gunze Rust, then shaded with a highly thin mix of Tamiya NATO Brown and Flat Black. This was then thinned down some more and misted over the whole exhaust to darken it a bit. Then it was down to various rust filters and a Yellow Ochre wash for the lightest rust shade.  Then I wrapped the end of it with some rigging twine to match the reference photos. Still have a bit more to do to it once the rest of the painting and weathering is done.

Enjoy everybody. Let me know your thoughts

Matt