3D printed N1K1-J

Thunda

On 9/10/2018 at 9:17 AM, thierry laurent said:

The guy missed a "small" detail from that conversion though - the entire rear fuselage and tail with it's noticeably different shape compared to the land-based version!  I contacted him about it a few months ago and he said "give me the dimensions"  Inferring from that response - if he doesn't have the revell kit to work from, how are we to assume that this expensive set fits the kit, or on the other side, he did crappy research to start with if he doesn't have those dims to work from. 

Hi All- yes, sorry for the confusion- Im doing the land based N1K1-J. I know that Revell did the much fabled very short run kit from the 1970's- long out of production and virtually unavailable secondhand.

Ive always preferred the look of the K1- it was shorter, different tail, mid winged and more pugnacious looking than the later K2.

More updates to follow.....

21 hours ago, docdodj said:

Really amazing work! How do you overlay and draw over  a line drawing or blueprint? Wanting to try this for a kit conversion 

Its a huge program, and difficult to describe in a sentence or two, but very roughly, with a side view, you import the drawing into your 3D program (Rhino in this case) and assign it to the 'X' axis, then you can start marking reference points on it. The program will draw lines between assigned points and fill in areas between them. You can also draw lines between two points then 'drag' a curve by moving the mouse. You can also 'group' reference points and move them together or assign behaviours to them.

To make a 3D object from the drawing, you need to have points on the 'X' and the 'Y' axis joined up. I dont know if that makes sense- like I say, its difficult to describe in a few sentences!

Edited by Thunda