3D printed N1K1-J

Thunda

Hi All,

Im lucky enough to have access to a well equipped 'make lab' at the University, and Ive been planning to try and print a 1/32 aircraft for a while. This week, we made a start, and have chosen as our first attempt the Kawanishi N1K1-J- mainly as its a fairly simple shape, and I might be able to use some components from the Hasegawa N1K2 George kit.

We've only spent around an hour on it so far- we're planning to print the cowling, the 2 halves of the fuselage and the wings seperately- using Rhino 3D and exporting .dxf files. We have many Ultimaker 3D printers and we'll be using these initially for our tests. Heres a couple of screen grabs- not much to see yet, but its very early days:

xpopkk.png2wqrj8z.pngv7s6fl.png2e1rs4g.png

Anyway, will try and keep you up to date- any comments or suggestions are welcome.

Heres a few pictures of our facility:

fbgwme.jpg

We deal with students from right acrodd the University, from fine artists and designers, to forensic & medical artists, to dental technicians and medical students.

jhc30j.jpg

You can see here we've got some examples- on the left are human hearts (everyone thinks they are 'alien eggs' because they still have the support structures attached!), half a human skull, at the bottom a jaw bone with printed teeth, in the middle a dragons skull, on the right the skeleton of a dwarf who lived in Edinburgh in the 1800's. This was part of forensics students project and this was eventually done full size with fleshed out body, glass eyes etc- so realistic it was extremely creepy....

2yy14so.jpg

An example of some of the 3D printers we have- they are all named after characters in TV detective shows for the purposes of booking out, so you can see Rockford, Starsky & Hutch, Cagney & Lacy, Monk & Ironside, so the students come in and say "Ive booked 2 hours with Ironside". Under the desk you can see some reels of the filament we use for the prints. We have recently bought a machine which recycles both the pff cuts of filament and the plastic reels into more filament. A worthwhile purchase...

Mainly Rhino 3D, but we can import pretty much any vector based file, so illustrator, In Design etc  can be used to draw individual parts and then imported and added to the model.

We export via .dxf files.

Ahh brilliant! Looks like a very good start and the shapes look right. 

Rhino is a wonderful program, I'm trying to figure out how to get my own legitimate copy without paying $500+, I'm stuck with vectorworks for the time being which I find to be much less intuitive