1/18 Fw 190a8

Rob Colvin

Had the oppertunity to look at one.....I'm a little disappointed they give you the blown canopy not the standard causing he decals not to match up! It appears wheel wells and a cockpit would resolve most of the issues, perhaps some new wheels as well......Can anyone comment on shapes, how does it measure out? 

Hi,

I have the HobbyBoss 1/18 Fw 190A5  since a couple of month ago.
@ Rob - not sure if the kit you are referring to is the same brand or molds. If not - please excuse me if this is no the case.

The HB offering is beautifully molded but in terms of detail not up to current standards.

Not sure how it measures out in general terms but I will dry fit and report.
Would be happy to post some pictures to exemplify issues found but not sure if that is common or policy.

If anyone has some ideas how to go about with correcting the HB Fw190 I am very interested, right now I am looking at 3D printing a new IP and GunSight and form a new seat out of brass or plastic sheet.

I am new to this forum so I am not sure what you guys think is the correct approach when posting a negative review, am I OK to post pictures to exemplify?  
Sorry to jump in if inappropriate and appreciate your advice!

Best regards
Johan

Edited by Johan
Policy question

Hi again,

so first some pictures just to indicate the size.

This is a comparsion to the Bf109 in 1/32:
2v2JDjRN8xALham.jpgHosted on Fotki

The nose section,molded in one piece:

2v2JDjRdNxALham.jpgHosted on Fotki

The cockpit tube, I think the throttle leaver is depicted in the center:

2v2Jy5YSjxALham.jpgHosted on Fotki

Odd shape of seat and armor, I have seen those armor plate "wings" before:

2v2Jy5YyzxALham.jpgHosted on Fotki

In the 1991 Dragon 1/48:
2v2Jy5YPMxALham.jpgHosted on Fotki

I think there are some corrections to be done, but as mentioned already I just might give it a go and do this OOO.

Here is the control stick, bottom right:

2v2J5bbNhxALham.jpgHosted on Fotki

Best regards

Johan

3 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

I tend to agree. About the only hope for that OOB is a 1/18th pilot taking up the room in the pit

And that is exactly the case. They know the figures can still be found on ebay (although much more expensive than they were a decade ago) or people may have extras from the fire sales, so you're expected to hide the shortcomings with a pilot. I mean, these are basically the built-up toys in a non-built-up state.

At least you can control the build and not have to rely on factory labor; when the first wave of 1/18 Harriers came out all the cockpits had been glued shut.

It is not only the pilots office, other areas where modelers tend to go nuts for detail, like engine, wheel wells, undercarriage and so on are also simplified.

The wheel wells:

photo6-vi.jpgHosted on Fotki

The engine "stack"with fan and hub (no gear hub / housing):

2v2J5pW9mxALham.jpgHosted on Fotki

Speer would have loved the simplicity.

So far I have only found the landing gear on the aftermarket, any tips or ideas would be very much appreciated.

Best regards
Johan

Edited by Johan
corrected

20 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

I want one, too!! But I also want someone to make resin corrections for it. I care at least a little about the details.

I dont feel like scratching all of that. 

Agreed, for whatever reason, a 190 this big kinda appeals to me, but I would need at least a bit more than they provide, as I would have no desire ether to scratch all it needs. 

I'm thinking that since I don't have display space for something that big anyway (let alone my 1/32 stuff), that I might have to hang it, so maybe a closed up in-flight bird might be just the ticket for this bad boy!! 

Unfortunately, they want WAY too much for this thing for me to justify it, so it's a big "no way" for me.

Edited by BiggTim