Correcting the 1/18th scale GAU-12 gun/ammo pod and "crossover fairing" for the Harrier II and, adding the loadout.

A-10LOADER

I picked up a resin gun/ammo pod for my1/18th scale,  pre-built AV-8B Harrier II. This is a resin version from the new 1/18th scale kit that recently came out. They look good but, could use a little work, especially the "crossover fairing" (not sure if that's the correct name for this piece ??), that goes between the two pods to make them better.

IMG_6039_zpsvvgdmzna.jpg

IMG_6038_zpspcag2ylc.jpg

As you can see, the panel is no where near being close to being correct, it's too flat and one dimensional.

IMG_6088_zpsiqekucoc.jpg

These two reference pics show what that panel should look like.

IMG_6084_zpsns4cyeud.jpg

IMG_6083_zpsgjm4tlob.jpg

I started detailing the gun pod by adding a length of 1/4" evergreen tubing to the gun exhaust port.

IMG_6079_zpsuswuwlyt.jpg

Next, after multiple attempts I finally got the template made for the fairing using some HD card stock. When everything is locked in where it should be, it fits good and looks more the part.

IMG_6087_zpscwug9zkh.jpg

IMG_6086_zpsqueloznf.jpg

Now I just need to transfer this to some sheet plastic, add some details,  panel fastener details and, the air scoop. Until the next update.

Steve

Finished up the "crossover fairing" today. Really happy with how it came out and I think it looks more the part.I transferred my card stock template to some .020" sheet plastic and cut it out. Then I folded the bends in the plastic using a metal ruler as a straight edge and bent it with my fingers.

IMG_6089_zpstunt5h9u.jpg

Next, I added the panels, their fasteners and, the gun fairing exhaust vent. The vent was made from a piece of 7/32"tubing, sanded at an angel until it looked right. I used some Tamiya panel line wash to check everything.

IMG_6091_zpswivdso6m.jpg

IMG_6092_zpswelnrw9e.jpg

IMG_6093_zpscbeamtt1.jpg

I needed a way to "lock in" the shape of the fairing so I could add the small panels the run on both sides of the fairing where it contacts the pods. I measured the length of the fairing on the jet and set my clamps, on a ruler, at that point. This held the fairing in the correct shape.

IMG_6094_zpsuutzhwwl.jpg

I opted to do one large piece of .010"sheet plastic, on each side of the fairing, instead of separate tiny strips. This will also help the fairing keep it's shape after the glue dries.

IMG_6095_zpsbcs6hwgm.jpg

Once the glue was dry it was just a matter of cutting the plastic to the proper width.

IMG_6096_zpsholeazeu.jpg

IMG_6097_zps7vreap7u.jpg

After all the trimming was complete it fit really good into the spot and looks so much better IMO. With my lack of good reference pics I'm not sure how accurate it really is but, it's an improvement and I'm happy with it.
Now I can get the gun/ammo pods and the fairing in some primer.

Steve

IMG_6098_zps9lph9ro6.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,
I managed to get paint (custom mix of Model Master Enamels) on the gun/ammo pods. I also sprayed the metal areas with Model Master steel. Up next a semi-gloss coat and then some weathering followed by a flat coat and it will be finished.
Steve

IMG_6109_zpsaduarpmg.jpg

I finished up the Harrier gun/ammo pod today. Very happy with how it came out.  Like I said earlier, the pods change the whole look of the jet for the better. Now if I could just find good pics of the center line pylon for the AN/AAQ-28 Targeting pod. Enjoy the pics.
Steve

IMG_6110_zpsxovlmnmq.jpg

IMG_6111_zpseqk7cliu.jpg

IMG_6113_zps1fcxj3hi.jpg

IMG_6114_zpshorj7bdv.jpg

IMG_6115_zpsfdyybbxz.jpg

7 hours ago, A-10LOADER said:

I finished up the Harrier gun/ammo pod today. Very happy with how it came out.  Like I said earlier, the pods change the whole look of the jet for the better. Now if I could just find good pics of the center line pylon for the AN/AAQ-28 Targeting pod. Enjoy the pics.
Steve

Hi Steve. This isn't the best picture for reference purposes but at least it's a photo of the real thing...

xve31a8.jpg

Edited by GDW

Thanks GDW,

I believe this is the pylon used when the gun/ammo pods ARE NOT installed, just the strakes ?? I have a reference photo of someone's WIP build of a Harrier II and he has the pods installed on the jet with a different center line pylon. Now this is assuming that the model is correct ?? This is why I need someone who worked Harrier's to comment on this.

Steve

4 hours ago, A-10LOADER said:

Thanks GDW,

I believe this is the pylon used when the gun/ammo pods ARE NOT installed, just the strakes ?? I have a reference photo of someone's WIP build of a Harrier II and he has the pods installed on the jet with a different center line pylon. Now this is assuming that the model is correct ?? This is why I need someone who worked Harrier's to comment on this.

Steve

My understanding is that the pylon is common to both strakes & gunpods. Dave Roof has an article about the Harrier that mentioned this, but in relation to carrying a (somewhat) unique ECM pod (AN/ALQ-184 rings a bell).

5 minutes ago, GMK said:

My understanding is that the pylon is common to both strakes & gunpods. Dave Roof has an article about the Harrier that mentioned this, but in relation to carrying a (somewhat) unique ECM pod (AN/ALQ-184 rings a bell).

Thanks, it's not an ECM pod, I want to add a AN/AAQ-28 Targeting pod to my center line pylon on my Harrier. I sent Dave Roof an email a few weeks back about this subject but, unfortunately he has not replied to me yet.

Steve