R. J. Mitchell - Shagbat to the rescue

TaffyMan

Hi been awhile but I have been fighting her with one step forward followed by one back.

So started with finishing off the weathering of the main bits, starting with the boat bottom. This got the usual oil treatment. this is a base and I will add some more details later

042-SMarine_Walrus_zpsrkbebzve.jpg

Bit of wear and tear and some oil paint on the sides.

043-SMarine_Walrus_zpsvbkybfya.jpg

044-SMarine_Walrus_zpsyg7rm0vu.jpg

after a couple of days to let the paint dry it got a coat of semi then a very light coat of matt misted over the top to dull these areas.

045-SMarine_Walrus_zps2vcxn6wc.jpg

The wings got the same gloss and matt treatment.

046-SMarine_Walrus_zpsefxcts9w.jpg

Then the scary bit - to see how much damage I had done fixing and blending in the canopy bottom edge.

047-SMarine_Walrus_zpswoosohq6.jpg

Well not as bad as feared not the best but I can live with it. If I was to do another think I would have put this together before the painting.

Next up it was at last time to start put some of the bits on. Starting with the tail.. There is no post for the aerials so this was added - a bit of thin brass tube. I will finisht the weathering of these bits later

048-SMarine_Walrus_zpsiav5u4ky.jpg

Then some of my home made ropes. these will need some weathering in as they are a bit bright at the mo. Followed with the legs and wheels.

049-SMarine_Walrus_zps187w3xbg.jpg

050-SMarine_Walrus_zpsugv7c29c.jpg

Yeah! She stands - look I have made a boat with the wheels!

So the boat now need some wings.

The fit on this kit is very tight. You can’t afford to have any paint layers on the glue surfaces at all. I had a slight overspray on the inside joint of the wings. even this small amount stopped the wings sting on to the mounts correctly. So after carefully removing the very tin paint smear managed to get the wings to sit properly.

051-SMarine_Walrus_zpsl0xllmhf.jpg

Well there you go after many hours I have now started to make a flying boat - cool need to let the bottom wings dry up then move on to the upper wings and the trying to string them up.

Till next time - happy modelling - Taff :D

Cheers guy’s and thanks for looking in! :bow:

I currently doing my first wing wiring :huh:  I take my hat of to all you WingNutters out there. I’ll post some pictures of my efforts after the wire fight is finished.

And Brian YES you do need dig her out ……. you know you want to!!!! :wicked: I would have loved to do a 1/32 version. But if the kit is trying you exceptional skills then, as it would be my first ever resin kit, it would be a non start -  literally for me.

Till next Happy modelling - Taff :D

Cheers Tim - Yeah finished the wings wires tonight :clap2:

Will get the pics sorted over the next few days - just need to repair the paint work from my efforts to get these wings on and wired up.

Till next time - Happy Days - Taff :D