Something different - carrier deck display base!

BiggTim

The carrier deck looks awesome! 

For anyone (myself included!) who might try something similar in the future, here is a great way to oxidize the wood planks.

Get some 0000 steel wool and let it dissolve in a jar of vinegar for a week or 2.  Then brew up some tea.  Brush the tea onto the wood planks and let it soak in a bit, then rub it down with the vinegar with dissolved steel wool in it.  

The stuff stinks like crazy but the smell will die down.  It creates the most beautiful aged, oxidized look b/c you are actually oxidizing the wood.  

Bigg Tim: I think your graying effect looks fantastic and I don't mean to suggest you should have done it this way.  I just thought I'd mention it as it seems appropriate to this project. 

Tim!

Just went to Toms model works to look into these carrier tie down strips, and I noticed he has used your Hellcat project here to help advertise his tie down product!  Congratulations!

I was wondering if he did these in 1/48 scale as well, and he does!

He also has modern carrier tie downs and WWII IJN tie downs!

There are lots of possibilities here for carrier deck displays.

Your work here has inspired me to try something similar.

:clap2:

18 hours ago, ringleheim said:

Tim!

Just went to Toms model works to look into these carrier tie down strips, and I noticed he has used your Hellcat project here to help advertise his tie down product!  Congratulations!

I was wondering if he did these in 1/48 scale as well, and he does!

He also has modern carrier tie downs and WWII IJN tie downs!

There are lots of possibilities here for carrier deck displays.

Your work here has inspired me to try something similar.

:clap2:

Stay tuned...I should have the printed version ready for sale in a week or two!

• 1 month later...

At the suggestion of Richard at Tom's Model Works, I built another US Carrier display base, this time of a pre-war carrier deck, based on some photos he supplied me from a Life magazine article. Ironically, I have no pre-war Navy fighters to use it with! 

I am just about ready to offer the WW2 deck photo-prints to you guys who are interested, as soon as my "guinea pig" tells me it's up to snuff, and I'll be scanning and prepping this one too, in case there is a desire to print these as well. 

I kind of stalled on the tutorial I was putting together on how to build your own, but I'll get back to it eventually. 

Tim

20181105-091530.jpg

20181105-091538.jpg

8 minutes ago, BiggTim said:

I am just about ready to offer the WW2 deck photo-prints to you guys who are interested, as soon as my "guinea pig" tells me it's up to snuff, and I'll be scanning and prepping this one too, in case there is a desire to print these as well. 

Nice!  Cant wait to see it...................honestly man I think these could be a BIG hit!  Inexpensive, easy to use and well done could be a recipe for some good stuff.