Something different - carrier deck display base!

BiggTim

While I was at Nationals, I saw some nice 1/32 resin display bases from ZM and Squadron, and it got me inspired. I bought one of the PSP bases from Squadron, because it was big enought for my P-38, and I could finish it myself; plus I knew I could never make my own that well for the 22 bucks it cost me to buy it.

Not to disparage a company I respect, but frankly, I was not really happy with the detailing or the texture on the ZM bases, especially the carrier deck one. So I picked up a couple sets of the PE US Carrier deck tie down strips from Tom's Model Works, ordered some 3/16" plastic channel from Plastruct, and set about making my own base when I got home. After a lot of trial and error, here are some quick shots with my phone of the final product, with my Hellcat on it as intended. What do you guys think?

20180901_101628.jpg

20180901_101857.jpg

20180901_102024.jpg

Tim

49 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

I think it's awesome!  How;d you do the oil stains?

Gaz

First I painted the laminated balsa planks with a thinned down dark gray, and wiped it off like wood stain, then painted the white stripes and lightly sanded them. Then I mixed a very thin enamel wash of black, dark gray, and lacquer thinner, and then dripped it from a small pipette for the oil stains. I used the same wash to darken the cracks between the planks. Then I muted everything with some black chalk brushed on with a wide watercolor brush. The whole thing is glued down to some black foamcore.