Ideas on how best to scratch build this CSAR hoist for my Chinook.

DesTROYer

I need to scratch build this CSAR hoist for my Chinook, but I am having trouble thinking of the best way to make it up.  Sculp from clay, carve from stacked styrene or wood and then cast in resin maybe?  I don't know.  Open to ideas. 

43492734055_c59da7fb37_b.jpg

43492734575_4020b3a10e_z.jpg

42591558600_7270ca061f_b.jpg

43683290854_88539f59be_s.jpg

44400619311_39b546c576_s.jpg

On the 1/35 model, the door is 25mm wide, and the CSAR hoist looks to be about the same width as the door.

A massive thanks to Craig for the photos.

Edited by DesTROYer

Ah, a modeler who is not afraid to scratch build somethng. Excellent!

1) The Hoist: It all depends on what technique you prefer to use. You can model it of clay but I wouild avoid that unhardenable material. Model it of a hard setting putty.

Or you can carve it in wood (soft balsa) or some hard wood. Or use any other material which you may like. 

2) The struts:  You can build those the same way the original were made. Get some tubng at the local hobby shop that is roughly the same diameter as the real stuff but scaled down to be in scale. First determine the outside diameter of the real tubing. Then divide that number by 32 to find the scale diameter. For example, if the diameter of the real strut is 1 inch then divide that by 32 and youi get .03125 inch (1/32 inch). If the scale is 1/35 then divide by 35. If youi are working in metrics then divide that metric diameter by 32, or 35, whatever.

Next flatten the ends of the tubes. Squeeze flat a short length at each end in a vice or pliers. 

Drill holes fo  the bolts in the flattened ends. 

Do the same for a number of shorter lengths of tubng and you can ue these as the anchors in the hoinst and in the  fuselage. 

3) Assemble the hoist and struts.

Note, the tubng should be available at your Local Hobby Shop. They will be available in copper (or brass) and  in aluminum. If you cannot find a supply of tubing the corect size (or close to it) I can get some at my LHS which is only a mile from my home. Tell me the size you need and I'll tell you the total cost (includng postage)  Send me the money and I'll mail it to you. I ask for payment (I make no profit) in advance bcause I have been burned too damn often by sending guys the  parts they needed and they dont even repay the cost of shippng. I once mailed two Revell Fw190 fuselages to Germany and said I'd appreciate a trade. The bugger never even wrote thank you.

Enjoy your build.

Stephen:punk:

Edited by ssculptor

Thank's Stephen, the tubing was not really a concern, but getting the shape of the body of the main hoist is.  I've tried sketching it from the different planes, to scale, but there are a few angles and shapes that I just can't figure out the mechanics of.

Thanks again for the reply.  :)

I'd build the center section up with flat  sheets of styrene, then put a round piece in the center, cover with putty and then sand it to shape. The main section can be done pretty much the same way. I forgot to add, you'll probably make three or four before your happy with it. The joys of scratch building.

Edited by Maxim

Good news.  It's been pointed out that the unit fitted to the Chinook, is the same as the one fitted to the Blackhawks and included in the Academy 1/35 kit.  There are still some additional covers and parts on the Chinook one that will need to be fabricated, but the hard part of the job has been made a whole lot easier.

9 hours ago, DesTROYer said:

Good news.  It's been pointed out that the unit fitted to the Chinook, is the same as the one fitted to the Blackhawks and included in the Academy 1/35 kit.  There are still some additional covers and parts on the Chinook one that will need to be fabricated, but the hard part of the job has been made a whole lot easier.

That is incorrect. The Blackhawks use a different style hoist fairing. The new Mike model 60's have a slender fairing on their hoist. The old style hoist model part on the Academy hawks may be a good starting point for modifying it to what you need.

Hope this helps!

Tim

Unfortunately time did not comply, and now I am at work for 3 weeks. But if you are not desperate or in a hurry, perhaps someone will chime in with an answer, and I will look when I get home (I desperately want to start it, but it is intimidating!)

I know for sure that if a Hoist is included, I won't require one, but I may not have one either...

Cheers

Harald

Thanks Harold. Looking at the one in the Werner’s Wings photos for that update set, I think that is a different unit, or at least has a different fairing as it seems more like a drum in shape, but I would be interested in taking a look to confirm that.

no rush at this stage.