Revell 1/16 Hawaiian Funny car build.

dmthamade

I did decide to leave it alone, looks dark but after applying one side of the decals i'm good with how it looks. I used Tamiya spraycan glosscoat, stuff works great!! Decals applied nicely, no hassles at all. The white and light blue do set the dark blue off, i'll have to remember this shade, looks like Cobalt Blue...

s1rGAy.jpg

x5X2dF.jpg

Bought two more funnycar kits, though they are 1/25 scale, after this is done i'll start in on them.

Don

Well this went bad. After applying the rest of the decals, i hit it with Tamiya spray bomb glosscoat. It reacted with the decals, caused an odd reaction i've never seen...the clear coat where it covered the paint was great, glossy, smooth, just perfect!! going to have to think what i'm going to do, i think the right thing is to strip and do over...OR be happy with a 10 footer. Can't get a clear pic how it looks like. Also have another kit so another body that i can start over ...

wwlQK4.jpg

zqq3cp.jpg

s1rGAy.jpg

At least with grey aircraft, weathering can "hide" some faults, gloss finishes are so unforgiving.

Don

20 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaang!!!:o Man I'm really sorry to see that for you Don.  Hang in there......that's modeling pal. Just back up and regroup. 

Not sure which way i'll go with this. Have to say it's getting to the  point of " i'm tired of this thing"

19 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

I don't know, it looks awfully good to me.

6 hours ago, rigor said:

Looks great from here 

Yup!!! That's the ten footer part!!

6 hours ago, rigor said:

Have to remember the blue you use gonna build the pats blue ribbOn car the looks like prefect match 

That Blue ribbon car was a great scheme!! Also liked the ray Alley Engine Masters Charger!! IIRC Kenny Bernstein won the NHRA Winternationals in that car. Have to say, looking for pics of the Hawaiian led me to pics of cars long forgotten. Blue Max, Barry Setzer, Telstar Dodge, Candies&Huges, Keeling & Clayton California charger, Stardust Cuda, Dunn & Reath Cuda, Ramchargers, Rod Shop Dodge....

Don

Weather has been very hot today, so bench time it is. Took a look at the body, and started to sand the affected ares with 400 grit wet sand. Going carefully, i found the decals were fine, it was the clearcoat that reacted!! Sanded away the scaly look, unfortunately breaking through in a couple of spots. Wiped off residue, and hit it again with two very light coat of Tamiya glosscoat spraybomb. Looks good. I think the reaction affected the clearcoat, not the decals as they are fine, now. Not perfect, but at least it's a 2 footer now...Will carry on...

Don

17 hours ago, LSP_Ray said:

Good news! It does look great in pics. I've had reaction with decals vs lacquer paint myself. I think you have to use light coats to make it work; tough with spray bombs.

Second time around i used two light coats, let it set up, then one heavier coat. Think you're right, light coats first.

Don