Revell 1/16 Hawaiian Funny car build.

dmthamade

After my Swordfish build, i took a break, enjoyed the weather, but now it's time to build something again. Nothing with wings appeals to me right now, but the discussion about old Revell etc molds being sold brings me to the 1/16 Hawaiian funny car i had in the stash. I remember building these when i was young, must have been around 1972-1974, date on parts say both 1988 and 2014. Wasn't the Hawaiian charger i did first but the Snowman charger. Not a lot of parts in the box, they all are familiar, and yes, i'm fondling them right now and reminiscing and waxing nostalgic. Doesn't look like they worked the molds, but for 40+ year old molds, the parts look ok. They did include new tires which are an improvement as are the 5 spoke wheels instead of the centerline mags. Don't know how much i'll get into detail, i'm an auto tech by trade for forty years and inaccuracies on car kits will bother me more than airplane kit inaccuracies. Anyway...

VWRwTd.jpg

0ikBs2.jpg

It's big, body beside a 1/32 CT-33

Lg94JP.jpg

U.S. Nationals on this weekend, will follow online and on tv, great way to start the build.

Don

Nothing to show, yet. I've been looking around for pics of this car, suprisingly there are very few!! I'm pretty sure this is the 1973 season car, missing are a lot of sponsor decals. MACS Chemicals, Steve Kaniuka speed shops, Pennzoil, Champion plugs are all absent from pics i could find. Revell sticker doesn't show on any pics either. I can only guess the pic Revell used for reference was of a fresh paint before all sponsor decals were applied to a new car, body was destroyed and this replacement was incompletely marked, couldn't get permission to use trademark name (doubtful), or Revell  just messed up. What few pics i could find of the frame/tinwork shows it appears incorrect, Revell uses the same parts under all their funny car kits, fair enough. One pic i did find showed this car with canard spoilers mounted close to the ground right in front of the rear tires. A few teams used these, didn't use for long. The kit body appears "off". Roofline at side windows, C pillar shape is off with a wrong slant to the leading edge (if that makes sense) side window opening too small, shape of C pillar to decklid  should be straighter...would need a new body to fix...i'm ok with it. Like the chassis this is a generic body for Revell, they did a few charger kits.

Don

Bit of a surprise!! Found a pic that they must have used for the artwork!! A "little" bit of photoshopping happening. For me, the angle of the car

"shine" in front of the bugcatcher, and shadows on the tinwork behind the rollcage tells me this is the pic they used. Wonder why they

didn't use this complete pic and include the correct sponsor stickers?

14hawaiianatmartinincolorcopy006.jpg

VWRwTd.jpg

Edited by dmthamade

• 9 months later...

Had this one parked for a long time. The kit reminded me that what you remember and what is reality are two different things. Pretty discouraged at how crude it is and how inaccurate it is. The absence of decals compared to the photo of how the car should be was really a killjoy. Fast forward 6 months, and having nothing to show except a stillborn Super Hornet, F-4J Phantom, and a P-40F, all on the SOD, i restarted the Hawaiian. Started by stripping off the chrome with Super Clean, LOTS of flash throughout the kit, and started. Basically just painted and built it, did learn that Tamiya gloss acrylic paint + Mr. Color Thinner work great!!  Painted the frame this way, was OK to handle within hours!! Last time i built one of these it was with the old square Testors paints, the gloss colors never seemed to dry!! Started to do some plumbing, but the supplied oil/fuel lines look funky. Will do the ignition leads but won't do the rest.

4xKHtq.jpg

Xi1m3Y.jpg

Don

18 hours ago, LSP_Ron said:

Yes these old kits are a little crude but they are still fun.  I just started a Fujimi Ferrari 250 GTO last night myself. 

Looks great to me.

Have to say, I am starting to enjoy the build. They are rough around the edges, but a kit whose molds are @40 yrs old are allowed some roughness, so  i'm  OK with them now. On the other hand, the new Revell Super Bug, there is NO excuse for Revell to turn out such a lousy kit...

17 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Looking real sharp. Hard to go wrong with funny cars and fuel dragsters, especially the old front engine variety.

Yup!! The new T/F and F/C are such engineering marvels, but I still like the old school F/Cs because they actually had some resemblance to the real cars. Of the T/F cars Revell did, I liked the Keeling & Clayton California Charger the best. 

Don

17 hours ago, ScanmanDan said:

This and the FE Dragster kits were my dream kits in younger days.  I only ever could afford their little brothers. Built, played with and destroyed a few. Lighter fluid anyone?!!!  Funny how much expectations of kits have changed over the years.  

Yup!! Had to park any expectations of grandness I had with the kit, stop whining and just build the darn thing!! Much more happier/relaxed build...

Don

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

Yup!! Had to park any expectations of grandness I had with the kit, stop whining and just build the darn thing!! Much more happier/relaxed build...

Don

I agree! Much more fun to just build the model than worry about every little nut bolt or rivet. 

1 hour ago, dmthamade said:

Yup!! The new T/F and F/C are such engineering marvels, but I still like the old school F/Cs because they actually had some resemblance to the real cars. Of the T/F cars Revell did, I liked the Keeling & Clayton California Charger the best. 

Don

I traded off the remnants of this kit a couple of years back, but I'd really like to snatch anther kit one day. I've seen this kit built into the most impressive 1:16 dragster model ever. The guy just did an absolutely outstanding job on it.

NXQbyi.jpg

1 hour ago, chrish said:

I agree! Much more fun to just build the model than worry about every little nut bolt or rivet. 

It's funny, aircraft builds i'm usually pretty good about letting stuff slide, car kits not so much. Have to let go though, or nothing gets done.

Don