Bf 109s with SD2 dispenser tray during Barbarossa

wmoran

I would love to build a model of a Bf 109E?/B with the SD2 cluster bomb dispenser as made by Eduard.  I understand that these cluster bomb dispensers were used in the first days of Operation Barbarossa to suppress the Soviet airfields.  I read one place that three aircraft per airfield were tasked with such attacks.  I have found a couple of pictures, one with a profile that states it is a Bf 109E-1/B in Romania in June '41.  Does anyone have or know a source for some photos of Bf 109E's with these dispensers around the time of Barbarossa?  Alternatively, any text descriptions of the attacks by these planes noting what units used them and hopefully, what model of 109 was used would be useful.  

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Bill

I’m working night shift right now but can take a look at my copy later on. Pm me your email address and I’ll send a photo of the page with the profile on it. I forget what staffel he was with schlg 2 though 8th rings a bell. It’s a good read, he flew 109’s and 190’s in ground attack roles then went in to the 262. 

Ade,

I didn't see your request to PM you until after you had posted the photos.  Thanks.  I was actually able to find a used copy of the book on Amazon and have it on order.

RBrown,

Thanks for that link.

Bill

10 hours ago, wmoran said:

Ade,

I didn't see your request to PM you until after you had posted the photos.  Thanks.  I was actually able to find a used copy of the book on Amazon and have it on order.

RBrown,

Thanks for that link.

Bill

No problem. I was doing some other uploading to my imgur album and the book was to hand so thought id take the photos and post them here. I skimmed the early Barbarossa missions part but not in great detail, couldn't see the reference to the bomb used but I'm pretty sure they are mentioned somewhere there as this is the only biography I can remember reading of a Luftwaffe ground attack pilot other than Rudel. Even if it isnt the info you're after its still a good read. One of the few hardbacks I kept after switching to a Kindle based library after my book collection got out of control in a house with little to no storage space. 

• 2 years later...
On 8/31/2018 at 9:48 PM, wmoran said:

I would love to build a model of a Bf 109E?/B with the SD2 cluster bomb dispenser as made by Eduard.  I understand that these cluster bomb dispensers were used in the first days of Operation Barbarossa to suppress the Soviet airfields.  I read one place that three aircraft per airfield were tasked with such attacks.  I have found a couple of pictures, one with a profile that states it is a Bf 109E-1/B in Romania in June '41.  Does anyone have or know a source for some photos of Bf 109E's with these dispensers around the time of Barbarossa?  Alternatively, any text descriptions of the attacks by these planes noting what units used them and hopefully, what model of 109 was used would be useful.  

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Bill

Hello wmoran,

I have the same situation.  Would you give me some tips?  I'd like to build one with this dispenser too.

I've got this kit from Eduard: 

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/plastic-kits/profipack/aircraft/1-32/bf-109e-3-1-32.html

Thank you.