Roden L-19 Bird Dog

williamj

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well we're back with the BDog...ran into some probs...After unmasking the windows they really looked like crapola..just wasn't happy with how it all looked.

Complicating the situation was the wing dihedral...had shimmed the wing at the upper cabin but it just kept compressing down,couldn't keep it up...insert joke here.

This all just wouldn't do.../got my hands on some new wing and fuselage sprues and went back,,yup started over with a whole new approach...new windows from acetate,solid steel rod bent at the correct places above the cabin and at the proper angle for the s right (and solid) dihedral.    If you build this kit OOTB...you'll end up with a flat wing every time.

Here we have cut open the upper wing

SlxZOG.jpg

New steel rod

4V4pX6.jpg

New acetate windows in place...upper and cabin sides.

j1laOT.jpg

NTE3fF.jpg

Removing  masks from inside upper acetate

3wpK0I.jpg

Landing lights with thin acetate cover

AmvDpD.jpg

New wing with SOLID dihedral....Arctic red flashes.

Wysu33.jpg

And we're almost back to where we left off....And I feel a whole lot better about how it will look with the changes.  not going to comment on the kit in general..but if you want to do it right this is it..Was tempted to vacform front and rear windscreens.(need to be re-shaped).but,decided against it as we have spent too much time on this already...Thanks for looking in,back in a few.Cheers Bill.

OweY4j.jpg

PS....The clear styrene parts are unfortunately substandard. There.. I did comment,such a hypocrite.

Edited by williamj