AMT '59 El Camino-COMPLETED-11/21

mustang1989

This one came out of nowhere but I'll be working on this one for a friend of my son. His name is Jonathan and he received this for a birthday gift a few months ago. He's been over to our house a time or two and has seen the stuff that I build and seemed interested. He's asked me kindly to build this one for him so while the Willy's is in and out of the paint booth and being polished here and there I'll have this to work on.

Here's the kit:

• 0250ff23a5a99ef55ba96ad2d2fa736b.jpg

Edited by mustang1989

Too cool. You may or may not recall, but the AMT '59 El Camino (with camper shell) was a major grail kit for me, but far too expensive in its original iteration, so I hunted down the basic '59 El Camino kit, and then snatched a '65 El Camino that had the same camper shell included, so I ended up with the '59 with camper shell, but for a whole lot less money.

I'll be eyeballing this, no question about it.

Thank you Kevin. While this isn't necessarily my "cup of tea", I will be going with some mild AM upgrades. There aint no way, no way, I can build an OOB engine so there'll be some "goodies" going into that part of the build and then I'll upgrade the interior somewhat as well.

42 minutes ago, themongoose said:

I happen to have the real thing if you are moving along on this and need any research :speak_cool: my model of it is a bit old and a little worse for wear, but then again so is the real thing. Leaks oil like a seive, you may not want to recreate that feature of the engine :popcorn:

LOL!!! I'll be going with a 350 from a Camaro kit for the powerplant but will be leaving the rest of it fairly stock Mongoose. I may take you up on your offer for under hood shots and interior photos so I do thank you for that. 

Camaro engine? That means it’ll have a mixing stick? Or automatic transmission? I build model aircraft now because I’ve been an auto mechanic all my life and I get a little crazy with corrections on car kits, I actually emailed AMT and complained about all of the (there’s lots) issues with Daisy Dukes Plymouth Road Runner. That was my last car kit. I was a Mopar nut until I met my ‘02 Monte Carlo SS.

15 hours ago, CATCplSlade said:

I'd build more cars if they made kits of the cars I want to build. And the ones I'm interested in were actually quite common and popular for their time, and fall into the "Why aren't these kitted already?" category.

Unfortunately, that's rather common. Of all the cars I've owned in my life (all American made), none are available in kit form,... not one.

17 hours ago, chrish said:

I build model aircraft now because I’ve been an auto mechanic all my life and I get a little crazy with corrections on car kits, I actually emailed AMT and complained about all of the (there’s lots) issues with Daisy Dukes Plymouth Road Runner. 

Yup!! i get what you're saying!! One reason why i do aircraft is i work on cars all day, for forty years!! I let a LOT slide on my aircraft builds, with cars my OCD would probably get in the way of the build.

Don

13 hours ago, LSP_Typhoonattack said:

Unfortunately, that's rather common. Of all the cars I've owned in my life (all American made), none are available in kit form,... not one.

I do hope that's one thing that'll change in the auto modeling category. There's a couple of 1:1 cars that I've owned that I'd like to see in kit form as well.

12 hours ago, dmthamade said:

Yup!! i get what you're saying!! One reason why i do aircraft is i work on cars all day, for forty years!! I let a LOT slide on my aircraft builds, with cars my OCD would probably get in the way of the build.

Don

Don you bring up a very valid point because I fight my OCD all the time with auto subjects. I built aircraft non stop till about 5 years ago and then I built my first auto build. Most of the cars I build take between 4-8 months to build just for the reason you stated. I know too much and try to replicate as much as possible and it takes up a bunch of time on any build.

I got to looking at the kit wheels and tires and there aint no way I'll be using any of the junk wheels and tires in the kit boxing. I found a spare set of tires from the Revell T/A Challenger kit and a spare set of Rallye wheels from a Camaro kit to help out here:

Yeah...…………..that's more like it.

Edited by mustang1989