AMT '59 El Camino-COMPLETED-11/21

mustang1989

16 hours ago, LSP_K2 said:

Well, it was either that or posting my junk in your thread.

LOL! I hear what you mean. lol 

9 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Joe..

Well I fell in love with this beauty.

:wub:

I love the Engine which for ME is the best part and your Engine is incredibly SUPERB.

I think maroon will look gorgeous against the chrome and looking ahead to see more of your beautiful build..

keep up the EXCELLENT  workmanship.

:clap2:

Thanks MARU. 'Preciate the good comments.

7 minutes ago, LSP_K2 said:

Wow, that's amazing then. My color coats never turn out that glossy, ever. What do you thin the paint with?

Thanks Kevin. I don't thin it. I decant it and shoot it straight through the airbrush at around 25 psi with this set up:

badger_air-brush_co_350mt_350_mobile_tec

Edited by mustang1989

OK guys. Interior is finished. There were several things that I didn't like about this kit in regards to the interior.  First off, the ejector pin marks were at the worst possible places. One on each side of the seat bottom???? What tha heck?I%20dunno_zpsgjbxiscc I managed to cover one of them with the magazine and the other I sanded as far as I dared and still not sacrifice the texture on the seat. Then there were two ugly marks on the flooring which got covered up by the floor mats. Secondly, AMT produced the interior in the boring base model interior. Had to get a little creative with the seat to jog things up a bit color wise. Lastly, the shifter looked like something from a school bus so that QUICKLY got changed out for something a little more sporty by way of scratchbuildinig. The goodies used were more of a distractive measure to make up for and enhance the mediocre interior. All in all I'm fairly pleased with the outcome. Although not my best interior, I think I made more out of what I had to work with.

Not bad. Aircraft and armor modelers have no idea how well off they are when compared to the frequently lousy details that seem to appear on so many car models; tires that look like they belong on a farm tractor, oversimplified interior detailing, alternators that are seemingly held up in space with rubber fan belts, carpets that look like grass mats in some Vietnamese hut, gas pedals that are molded directly to the floor, stupid wheels that look to be designed by some freaked out LSD abusing bozo,  gigantic ejector pin marks under the hood, hood hinges, if any, that would look more at home on a locomotive, etc, etc, etc.

7 hours ago, mustang1989 said:

You have some good points there bud and I'll come back to some of those in my next post. I will say that this is one of the worst OOB interiors I've seen yet in terms of detail and pin marks. Crazy.

Seriously, car model manufacturers haven't changed all that much in the last 50 years, which is astounding to me. I know there are some exceptions (there always are), but for the most part, it's just been the same stuff, over and over and over. Still, it is what it is and a decent looking car can still be made from most, almost regardless of how basic they are, so I guess that's what we're stuck with.

Joe,

You're really done some great work on the interior.  Each of your little mods have improved the area a lot.

I was talking to a guy yesterday who wanted to reproduce the chequered grip on a pistol, and an idea came to me because he had an example of what he wanted it to look like.

The idea that came to me was to pour your own texture.  At art stores you can buy latex and resin casting kits.  You mix two components to make a latex mold of the original.  Then you mix two more components (resin and hardener) and pour it onto or into your latex mold.  It only takes a few minutes and might be a way to replace textured areas lost because of ejector pins.

It's true, sometimes you get bubbles.  But if you make a big enough casting, and don't over-stir the resin mixture, you could end up with enough useful area to fix a spot.

Gaz

Kevin: I definitely hear what you're saying. There are some kits that have gotten better lately I think. The Revell Foose F-100 was one of those kits that was a dream to put together IMO. I had to contend with some sanding on the body and all but that's pretty much normal. Other than that it went together well and Revell managed to hide alot of the pin marks.

Gaz: Thanks for the good word and for the tips brother.

Regardless of my lack of posting lately, I have been able to hit the bench. With my son in football and in agriculture in school (he's raising a pig) we've all got some really busy nights. We don't plan anything right now outside of the pig and football. I would post more during the week at night but I'd be a babbling idiot due to being so tired.

In regards to the bench, I have spent the better part of a friggin' WEEK applying bare metal foil to all the chrome trim that is on this car. I never in a million years EVER realized there was so much dang chrome on these things. Boy did I ever get a rude awakening! I've still got more chrome to install on this car in the way of bumpers, headlights/ bezels, turn signal bezels, tail lights and the like.
I had to sand about 3/16" off the bottom of the window/ glass assy because the interior tub wasn't fitting into the interior cavity fully causing a large gap between the top of the door opening and the interior door panels. Crazy. :headslap:
After that I managed to get the body installed onto the rolling chassis and I'm VERY happy with that result. It was exactly the look I was hoping for.