Chipping - Hairspray vrs Mig Chipping Fluid

John1

Title says it all.   I'll be using this technique for the first time on my upcoming F4U build.   What are your thoughts?  I'd prefer to use hairspray because A)  I've got a readily available supply due to the wife and B ) it's free and I really like free.

That being said, I want this to come out well.   Any major advantage to using the Mig product vrs good ole regular hair spray?   How do you apply either one?  

For hairspray, just spray direct from the container or decant and airbrush (if airbrush, any need to thin it)?

Also, the Mig instructions specify to use acryril paint.   I typically work with enamels.   Will this be an issue (with Mig and hairspray)?

Sorry for the all the newbie questions!

Edited by John1

I've never used hairspray but have used the MiG stuff. Just drop some neat into your airbrush, airbrush a nice coat on, let dry for a few minutes, and then airbrush your paint. Acrylic paints do work best, but you can also use enamels or acrylic lacquers. Enamels and acrylic lacquers are more impervious to water so using them is a little bit more difficult (but you can do it). 

Hairspray's good, but I use acrylics so I can't speak for enamels.  I just spray some from the can into a container and brush it on where I know I'll want chipping, can't see the need for airbrushing it.  Haven't used any MiG stuff ever, it seems to me that they are tapping into a "shortcut" market for effects that can be achieved with a little bit of imagination and experience by other means.

IVe used all 3, hairspray, Mig ammo chipping fluid and Mig ammo "heavy" chipping fluid. Hairspray works fine, but can be a PITA to decant and like other rattle cans, the particulate comes out quite heavy straight from the can.

The Mig ammo "heavy" chipping fluid works, but because its heavy chipping fluid, it tends to release much more paint under it.

The Mig ammo normal chipping fluid is what I use, as its already in the bottle, works every bit as good as hairspray for me, and as Bob mentions you can drop it straight from bottle to air brush, and put a layer on, and then cover it with the acrylic color of your choice. 

I find lacquer works best for me for an undercoat of silver or primer since it is far less susceptible to the chipping fluid and water needed to make the scratches. 

Never tried the hairspray or MiG stuff, I have used plain, ordinary rubber cement as a mask for chipping medium. Easy to source, apply. Works best with Tamiya acrylics, never tried it with enamels. I apply with toothpicks, small pieces of sponge. 

Don

1 hour ago, alaninaustria said:

How do you use hairspray to replicate chipping?????

Basically the Mig stuff and hairspray do the same thing - when lacquer or enamel is laid down under the fluid or hairspray, and with a topcoat of acrylic over the fluid, you can use a toothbrush, cocktail stick or other object with a bit of water on it to make scratches and chipping. The water gets to the hairspray/chipping fluid, and loosens then releases the acrylic paint.

I used a light coat of cheap "Rave" hairspray sprayed straight from the aerosol can over Alclad aluminum on my Hellcat some years back. Then painted over it with Model Master enamels. After drying, I scrubbed the spots I want to be worn with a stiff toothbrush and some Windex to loosen the hairspray and remove some of the enamel, and it worked rather well. It also lent itself to chipping with the tip of a sharpened toothbrush or blade after a quick soak with Windex. I say Windex because water alone is not usually enough to get through the tough enamels. If you want to see the results, check the link in my signature below. 

Most importantly, test it on something else first!!

Tim

Michael Rinaldi is on of the guys who has really invested effort into perfecting the hair spray technique.

There is a good video with him discussing it on Youtube.

He uses an aerosol hair spray and just gives it 2 quick passes right out of the can. 

I have only used hairspray myself (through an airbrush) and not the modeling products, but honestly, I think what product you use is the least important variable in the entire equation.

How much you apply, drying time, how much paint you apply, type, drying time for that, etc., are all much more important to the finished product.   I have also found that spraying a clear coat over paint and prior to hairspray really helps control the chipping.  A lot of modelers do not do that; they shoot the hairspray right over the paint.  

Here's the video.