Aerotech Piaggio Pc.7 Finished.

ericg

Another area of the kit that I tidied up was the rear of the spinner and the front of the fuselage. Due to the nature of the kit, both of these areas required some attention due to not being round, partly due to the imperfect join and some possible warping of the moulds. I ‘blueprinted’ these parts to ensure that they look good to the viewer of the completed model. I used my circle cutter to cut two disks of thin plastic card which closely matched each of the parts. Knowing that these were perfect circles, I was then able to backfill the resin part with a talc/superglue mix and sand to match the plastic disks. 

IMG_3511-X3.jpg

Onto the painting stage. All good paint finishes start with surface preparation. I primed the model with Tamiya Fine surface primer. This stuff just seems to work.

IMG_3635-X3.jpg

i then use a strong light to closely examine the model and mark with a lead pencil every small flaw and imperfection on it. This then becomes my checklist of things to fix. For instance; a file mark, glue spot, a panel line that needs to be deeper etc.

IMG_3637-X3.jpg

A few hours spent here is time well spent. Lots of small fixes.

IMG_3640-X3.jpg

My objective for the days modelling was to get it into pink primer. I used Tamiya pink surface primer before on my DH-88 comet to give it a good base for the red and it worked very well.  Not going to change anything there. Will let it sit for a day and give it a once over with some 2000 grit before shooting paint.

IMG_3641-X3.jpg

Edited by ericg

Thanks guys. So whilst looking for a particular paint colour for another project, I found that the same manufacturer made `Italian red', just the colour I was chasing for this project. There has been alot of talk here in Australia about a new manufacturer called SMS, or The Scale Modellers Supply so I thought I would give it a go. I normally would have used a Tamiya  spray can for this job as it has worked well in the past with the DH-88 Comet but felt it was time for a change. SMS is an Australian based manufacturer and the paint is made here, so I was keen to give it a go. I painted the model with my Iwata HP-BH set at 15 PSI straight from the bottle and achieved this result with two thin coats. I am extremely impressed with this paint and it has settled onto the model with a very smooth satin finish. I would highly recommend it.

IMG_3650-X3.jpg

IMG_3652-X3.jpg

Super smooth paint finish, Eric ! (Although, on my ipad screen, the red has a pinkish hue that does not look too « italian », but then, between lighting, camera and screen rendition, the probabilities of sameness to the original are nil ...)

Hubert

Thanks guys.

8 hours ago, Hubert Boillot said:

Super smooth paint finish, Eric ! (Although, on my ipad screen, the red has a pinkish hue that does not look too « italian », but then, between lighting, camera and screen rendition, the probabilities of sameness to the original are nil ...)

Hubert

All red here Hubert. There is some pink primer visible on the tops of the wings which may give that illusion plus the factors that you mention.

15 minutes ago, Rick Griewski said:

Excellent work!  I like your idea painting the pink under the red.  I may have to find one of these kits to go with my Schnieder racers.  

Rick

Thanks Rick. Tamiya recommend it under red paint. I used it first on my DH-88 and reckon it reduced the amount of coats of red required. It really works a treat.

cheers,

eric